Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 26 April 2008

73 Miles and OK - Phew!


Today was my first long bike ride since I can't remember! With my legs giving up whilst running last Thursday, I was concerned that I would struggle on the bike too. As you can see, after the ride I was still smiling - a good sign! I rode with Turbo Man (Mick Pullin), who has been going quite well on the bike lately. To cut a long story - or long ride - short, I was ok. We did 73 miles, with an average speed for the whole ride of 19.2mph. There was a headwind for the first 40 miles and that made going tough. However, once we turned, it was a great feeling to be scooting along at 26mph with no effort. I put in some sprints up some of the huge mountains of Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire and that took it out of me - the legs are tired now! The short races that I have planned this year are going to be tough, as I have focused entirely on long distance stuff this year. In fact, I have not done one proper interval session on the bike. I plan to ride a 2-up TT with Mick on Wednesday though, so that should kick start the shorter efforts. All I need now is for my run legs to return!

4 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Sags

Great ride today, wasn't it? Fantastic to be wearing shorts in the warm sunshine. The wind was a bit of a nuisance for the first 40 or so miles, weather forecast reckons is was about 14mph so to average 17.5mph over that distance was pretty good I reckon. The ride back was indeed fun, although having a compact is a disadvantage when you went above 33mph as I ran out of gears!

How about you just concentrate on swimming and cycling for the next 10 days or so and then ease yourself back into the running gently?

Train smart.

Sags said...

Hey T Man, i am sure if I look closely I can see some tan lines on my thighs! Great fun. According to my Garmin the first 27 miles we averaged 18mph. The ride from coffee stop to Godmanchester was av 22.3mph - not that it matters as 73 miles is a decent long ride. I may concentrate on swimming and cycling....see how it goes!

Unknown said...

good stuff fellas, glad to hear your in shorts now!
i got quite a bit of sunburn after coaching transitions and open water swimming yesterday for 5hrs!!!
did a sprint tri today, v windy ok swim not bad bike but felt awesome on the run, well pleased! i will post splits on my blog when i get them! keep up all the hard training.
When are we going to see a TurboBlog??
we should have links to the RAF TRI blog sites from the RAFTri homepage?

Kelda said...

Sags, it is not possible to combine (successful) short racing with a long distance goal, trust me, it just doesn't work, if you don't believe me I'll send you my training log from 2006 building up for IM in July, I ended up not running for 5 weeks. Either, don't do the sprints if you can't face doing less than you normal best or just enjoy the social and consider them a bit of fun. Glad to hear you had a good ride, oh to average those kinds of speeds :-)