Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 14 April 2008

2:55:42

Well, that was my finish time. I am happy but it could have been better - anyone heard that from me before! It was a great event and the atmosphere was fantastic. When the hooter sounded and we set off, I had that feeling that the running legs were not really there today. With 26 miles to run, I banished that thought straight away! I fell into a nice rhythm and clocked consistent 6:28 miles. Half way was 1:24, which was spot on schedule. At 19 miles, my legs began to shut down. It was a strange feeling because I wasn't even breathing hard. The last 7 miles was very painful and the verse in my previous post was going over and over in my head. With 5 miles left I caught sight of Matthew Simpkin (work colleague and fellow Christian). I had seen him at 14 miles and it was great to see a familiar face in the crowd. However, at 5 miles to go I think I looked at him with and muttered something about how bad I felt! Thanks for the support buddy! Sorry if I appeared delirious! The last 2 miles along the Embankment was the most difficult. There were so many people cheering for the Royal Air Force, and yet I felt like I was letting them down as my running had now become a feeble shuffle. As I rounded the last corner by Buckingham Palace I could see the finishing clock; I was amazed that I was going to break 2:56 as I really thought I was going to shuffle over the line in over 3 hours! As I tried to look as though I was running (rather than hobbling!) I saw Julie in the grandstand waving and cheering - it was a welcome sight! I had pushed through the last 6 miles but I knew that my legs were going to pay the price for the effort..........

..........oh how right I was! Stairs are a major obstacle today! Thanks to everyone for the support and texts. I will be back racing in.......ummm.......about 6 months!

5 comments:

Turbo Man said...

BIG well done mate. Now is the time to practice your recovery methods.

Kelda said...

Indeed Mr T.

Sags said...

....but I want to ride my bike now!! Seriously, went for a swim this morning and that was ok (apart from the fact that I am not swimming well!) as long as I don't push off the wall too hard! I may try a spin on the bike tomorrow to flush the legs. Thanks for the support!

Turbo Man said...

Do you fancy 92 miles of hills in the Peak District on Sunday? That's what I'll be doing!

Sags said...

Legs won't handle that T Man! I feel like an ex-cyclist!