Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 12 May 2008

Crashed and Burnt 8-(


Here is the RAF contingent for the Shires and Spires Cycle Sportif held on 11 May 08. The weather was great and we were looking for a challenge over the 82 miles! You may have already heard that I crashed at 46 miles but I will come to that. As we set off in a bunch of about 20 riders we soon got up to speed. Before I knew it we had covered 10 miles in 27 mins exactly - not a bad pace! It felt so easy in a bunch too. Without going into too much detail, myself, Mick and Mike Masters managed to get in a good group that was shifting some! Whether it was a loss of concentration on my part or a lack of signaling from the riders ahead of me, I suddenly was faced with 4 riders almost at a dead stop and me going at about 20mph. Can't really remember much except whacking the back of my head. It was such a thud I thought that my helmet had come off. However, the helmet had actually done its job - it was cracked, as was my head! Anyway, I won't bleat on! Only one more whinge: I wrecked my carbon wheels..........sniff....... I loved those wheels. My bike was unridable (is that a word?) so it was the broom wagon for me. I would have loved to have finished the event as I was averaging a shade under 22mph for the 46 miles. Mind you, T Man explained that all the real hills were in the last 20 miles.


More recovery is needed.........again! I'm off to nurse my bruises and search for some wheels!

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

I feel your pain buddy. Well sort of. Rest up and heal well, no point in rushing back and I expect you'll be sore for a few days - that must have been some spill to do the amount of damage you did. I'm just gutted I didn't actually see it but was only there to scoop you up off the road a few seconds later.

Nice pic by the way; I've nicked it for my blog too. The colour of the sky goes really well with the kit.

Anonymous said...

Take a few days out now buddy, as Turbo man sayno point in rushing back. Have some good rest and youll be back flying soon:)