Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 July 2023

Touching Speed

It’s July now and I’ve completed a mini return to strength training period, with more emphasis on the gym work. This means no real speed work on the bike or run. So as I mentioned on my last post, it’s a kind of reset to see what I can get out of the back end of 2023. I considered entering the National Duathlon Champs at Grafham Water. It’s familiar for me as I used to live in that area, but it’s at the end of October and expensive! I’m at the top end of my age group and unlikely to podium. So what’s the point? I’m all in for 2024👊

I’ll race the Manchester Airport Duathlon in August and the Darley Moor Duathlon in September. But I’d also like to try and shave some seconds off my April 10k time of 37:31. Maybe sub-37? That’s a big ask but still a target. And I’d like a decent 5k race to bag a time. I can do this at the local parkrun so no dramas. But tomorrow I am racing a different 5k at the Port Vale Gold Event. No idea what the course is like but I want to get a marker time before I start speed work. I’m expecting maybe around 18:45. But it depends on the course. 

This brings me onto the topic of this post: touching on speed. I’ve been reading more and more articles that state that speed work is absolutely key to running fast. But not just a beasting at the track and then take (for me) 4 days to recover. Touching on speed means completing strides, fast feet drills, short uphill and downhill pick ups. . . All done during, before or after a run session. In fact, sometimes as the only run session. Essentially, I already do this type of touching on speed but not every session. I am returning to the track this week (if recovered from this 5k) and aim to stick rigidly to target pacing based on 5k and 10k pace. Add to this I’m planning on running at least 5 days a week, which is huge for me. Injury risk? No, as at least 2 of these sessions will be recovery but touching on speed. 

I’m always excited to do something different - look at the benefits of strength training over the winter for me. 

Onwards and upwards then. Maybe a new old man 10k/5k best around October? 

No comments: