Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. šŸ¤• 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 14 July 2023

Return to the Track

I’m running risk of having a constructive plan that is being followed. After the 5k race last Sunday it was my intent to get back to track sessions to hone the speed for a bash at some late season duathlon races and maybe a fast 5k. 

So on Thursday I tried out a taster track session at Newcastle AC. The venue is in Newcastle and easy to jog to and a Thursday is a better day to hit the track, as opposed to a Wednesday, which is the NTC track day. The Newcastle track is, however, an old style cinder/gravel construct. 



Hence, my expectation was that it would be a slower surface to run on. This didn’t seem to be the case as the pace I eased into was actually faster than I planned. The session was 8 x 2 min 30 sec with the same recovery interval. All based on pace, I started off with a 3:30 pace. This surprised me as my aim was 3:36. I maintained or dipped into 3:26 ish for all reps - apart from the last rep where I eased back to a 3:38. 

All in all I am happy with this. My heart and lungs were good but my legs were a bit spasm-filled. I clearly need to get the mega conditioned better for this pace. But the signs are good. Maybe a sub-18 min 5k is possible. Let’s wait and see šŸ˜Ž

No comments: