Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 July 2023

Vale Park 5k Baseline Race

Today was the Gold Events Vale Park 5k race. As mentioned on my last post, this race is to get a baseline time for a 5k race effort. My expectation was a time around 18:45. This actually translates to the same pace that I ran for 10k this year in April and May. But I was peaking for a main goal back then. Today, I was finishing a reset period of gym conditioning work and no real threshold work on bike or run. 




Firstly it was an age group win. Surprised actually as the age cat was 50 - 59 and I’m at the top of this 10 year grouping. But there was another race taking place at the Cheadle 4. I did t fancy this race as it was basically up a big hill and down the other side. With two slightly aching Achilles tendons, I thought I’d give that a miss!  

My time was 18:40, which was in line with expectations. I may have gone off a taste fast but I felt ok. The course was undulating and a few twisty gravel stretches. So not that fast I suppose. I felt strong but couldn’t up the pace in the last kilometre. It was another case of terminal velocity. Not sure if I can find any more speed but I’ll try to gain more pace when I get back to the track. 

Today I wore the Vaporfly 2 bargain fast pumps I got yesterday. 


Great shoes and I really enjoys running in them today. Tired now but may try a recovery spin later. 

What’s next? Manchester Duathlon 20 August. But I want to ease into track work and touching speed every day possible - as described in my last post. 

No comments: