Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 August 2008

Yesteryear and Motivation!

Inspiration to individuals can come in many forms. As I started my run today, I began to think what inspires me. What positive thoughts can I use to inspire me when I race? Mental strength seems more important when racing long. Firstly, I give glory to my maker for allowing me to enjoy racing. Secondly, I seem to draw strength in the knowledge that training sessions indicate that I am in shape. Thirdly, I dream of the days 25 years ago when I was a pure runner and able to churn out 32 min 10k races………oh to be able to do that now!

Here I am all those years ago!

Today’s run was 10 miles easy, concentrating on my Almere race pace and feeling that I am holding back. After a 120k bike, I think it will be essential that I hold back on the first 15k lap of the run. I ran this way when I raced over 30k at the Stamford St Valentine Day 30k. In that race I managed a nice negative split and finished the last 3 miles at 5:45 pace for a 1:58 finishing time. Obtaining a negative split seems to be such a more enjoyable way of running – certainly less painful ……..flash backs of London Marathon making me shiver!!

The good thing about today’s run was that my musings of yesteryear reminded me of how I used to concentrate when running a race. I would focus on an object straight ahead and just think relaxed speed. By doing that, I would get in a zone and run fast without realising! Today was the same. By holding back, focusing and getting in the zone, my Garmin indicated that I was cruising at 7 min per mile. As I thought about the past, it occurred to me how much the general standard of running has reduced over the years. I remember being so pleased with my 5 mile road race pb of 25:25, yet I finished in the 20s! Sub 26 mins these days pretty much wins you a 5 mile race.

In summary, when racing long, particularly on the run, I will:

a. Thank the Lord for making me and allowing me to do what I enjoy!
b. Be confident that the training is in the bank and I am in shape.
c. Remember the good old fast days and run like I used to!!
What makes you bloggers 'tick'? What inspires you? The superhuman efforts in the Olympics, as awesome as they are, just don't inspire me personally. I admire their genetics and their dedication but can't help that they are too wrapped up in what they do. I suppose they will think more about life when they realise that they are slowing down and cannot do what they used to quite so fast!

5 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

Interesting thoughts Sags, so thats your sporting background. When I'm on the bike I think back to the glory days of my road racing at the end of the 90's and how good I used to be. I do however realise that that what I have sacrificed in bike speed I have made up for in my running and dare I say it swimming ability. I even think about quiting triathlon to try other things but at the moment I can't think what would fill the void. Until that day comes I will have to continue with triathlon.

Michael said...

I am at a loss compaired to most as I can not remember my yesteryear as I am yet to live them. I do not het het up about times no watches or time checks on race day anymore as I know that I have it in me and use the power of me to go harder faster longer.

I've done the miles and hours so knowing that relaxes me. Racing within myself is what it all comes down to

Turbo Man said...

A very thought provoking post my young training buddy.

What motivates me? First and foremost I enjoy racing; I enjoy it when the hooter goes and you get stuck in to something that many people believe is not possible (of course it is possible, as many "non-athletic" people prove at almost every race); I enjoy challenging myself and overcoming those challenges; I enjoy beating younger people.

But I think what motivates me most is thinking back to where I was before I took up triathlon, and imagining what I would be like now if I hadn't. I was overweight, drinking way too much and eating a pretty unhealthy diet. I was the classic high-risk heart attack waiting to happen. Now, I have too much I want to live for.

Sorry, that's a bit heavy. But you did ask.

Sags said...

All very interesting. Worth remembering that we compete at three events rolled into one and the finish line is where the clock stops! Hence we need to blend the disciplines for a fast end time.....at our level it is so good to check out fastest splits though!!

What about you Debs? Motivation?

Iron Girl said...

The subject of this post has been mulling in my brain cell. Motivation is a fascinating aspect of our sport. I would say that for many years I was motivated to train and race because I had an ideal in my head of what being a triathlete meant. Now after over 10 years in the sport, I accept that I am a triathlete, I’m not ideal, but it is great fun. I like the fact that I’m never finished. Every race provides me with more information on what I can improve, what I can do differently, what worked well. I am at peace when I swim. My cycling I just want to improve. Running is a challenge to recover my best form, because I know I can. I have never raced and thought perfect, that all went exactly as I wanted. And I find that motivating.

I also appreciate the friendships I’ve developed over my years in triathlon. There is nothing better than meeting like minded who share the same passion for life.