Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 2 August 2008

Turbo Man's Fav Stretch of Road ......



.......always fills me with dread because he tucks in the tri-bars and I have to hang on to his wheel as he cranks the speed up to 28mph. That's what happened this morning as we went on a long 'EZ' ride. I clocked 64 miles averaging 18.2mph. Quite windy in places. I thought of Daz doing his 100 mile sportif on his new bike and prayed that he had good weather! Look forward to your report Daz! It proceeded to rain on us and I got a nice face full of dirt and water as I drafted Turbo man through his fav road. I am still a bit fatigued from last week's half ironman - unlike young Jase Walkley who is racing the National Relays at Nottingham this weekend (that's the power of youth for you!). Look forward to the results from that event too.

A slightly new look to the blog. The pic is me looking happy after picking up my first age group win at Trentham - a good day out indeed. I haveto go and search the net for a new helmet now, as mine has a small crack in it. Don't want to get to Almere and they tell me that my lid is damaged............no lid.............no ride. Thinking of changing to a Bell Meteor as the 08 model has rear vents as well as front vents - something the Giro Advantage does not have the advantage of!!

6 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Nice smilie pic buddy!

Yes, I do like that stretch of road; it has a nice surface and you can really give it some stick. At least you always know whats coming!

But to redress the balance somewhat, you had given me a right kicking on a couple of those hills; I guess some of that advantage is down to you being about 10kg lighter though!

Daz Sharpe said...

Sags, the Bell is the helmet I would go for, i've looked at them myself but dont think a pointy hat would look good on a road bike with clip on bars as apposed to your aero bike. Also not sure if it would give any advantage on a road bike either. Good pic mate by the way.

Turbo Man said...

I've just read your "Tri to..." bit at the top of the page; you have to be quick before the picture loads as its very difficult to read against the picture. Very funny, esp the non PC bit!

Sags said...

On your new bike a pointy hat would look good dude! You may even save 30 sec over 75 miles!!

Turbo Man said...

Pointy hats work and save you a whole bunch more time than 30 secs over 75 miles. One guy on TriTalk (an experienced TT rider) recently did a back-to-back test using a power meter to ride a short route (I can't remember exactly but I think it was about 8 miles). Riding at 300 watts he did it once with a normal helmet and then repeated it with an aero helmet. He was some 40 seconds quicker with the aero helmet. Extrapolate that over 75 miles and you have saved about 6 minutes or more just for changing your helmet.

Is it worth it for a road bike with clip-ons? You may not get the full benefit but there will certainly be some; it all depends how high you sit on the road bike.

Sags said...

There you go Daz! You need one!