Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 20 August 2023

J5/8 Open 25 Mile TT - Run 5k Acceleration off Bike

My last blog previewed my weekend bike/run key session; the main part being the 25 mile Open TT event on the J5/8 A50 course. The run planned was an acceleration 5k, increasing the speed every 1k. I’d hoped for a sub-hour TT and a sub 20 min 5k run but the key for the run was to be the acceleration aspect when fatigued. 




I must admit, I loved the travel to race vibe. It’s been a while since I’ve ridden a TT and although I’d tried to get mor bike intensity, I suspected I’d be left wanting and be quite slow. The course is fast - the A50 dual carriageway routes are generally fast but not without roundabouts and some drags that sap the legs. I had raised this course back in 2014 and clocked 56:33. Can’t believe that was 9 years ago. I was preparing for the Outlaw and actually going pretty well, if I remember. Plus I was slightly younger. 🥸

Anyway, the course is fast for the first 12 miles really. 


The profile explains why it is fast outwards towards the turn. As much as I tried to save a smidgen of power. Not sure if I did 😆. I actually surprised myself and managed to sustain a decent effort to clock 57:37 by my wahoo. The official clocking may be slightly different but I’m happy enough with this result. 




Onto the acceleration run. I selected 5k to give myself a decent distance to maintain my focus on speed. Don’t want to end up plodding. So happy with an overall time of 5k 19:49. But the important aspect was the increasing pace as the fatigue sets in. 


Overall, a good key session the bag. 3 weeks until the Newcastle 10k now. I may race a Parkrun 5k again on Saturday. Let’s see how the weeks goes with work and stuff. 

Laters

No comments: