Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 25 September 2009

Run Cadence

I am sure that the topic of run cadence has been talked to death on various forums. However, for the first time ever, I have been experimenting with my run cadence. I have always been a big believer in the 'you run as you did when you learnt to walk' theory - just put one leg in front of the other as fast as you can! Having now suffered an injury that stopped me running (a new experience for me) I seem to be thinking about the mechanics of running more and more. Add to this the fact that I am considering 'going long' next year, and I am all set to change the habit of a life time!

All the info out in virtual world (and Brad world) state that fast cadence of around 90 strikes per single foot per minute is a good cadence. Ever tried this? Man, it was difficult! It felt like I was churning away like the Road Runner. . .



. . . my legs spinning round in a blur. However, I did seem to be running ok and my breathing was not that laboured, even when the pace was increased. The idea is that there the breaking effect is eliminated from your running. . . . hang on! Why am I going on about this? You've heard it all before! Anyway, I will persevere with it and see if I can make the cadence feel more natural. At least I will have another excuse for not running too well 8-)

I do like my excuses. . . which are normally most evident before any race I am doing!

4 comments:

Lonsy said...

I tried it for the 2nd run at Cannock just for fun, and despite having been tired on the first one, I felt strong again. Maybe it's the way forward...

Mat Stephenson said...

hey mate it does work but you gotta keep the injuries in check and revert to norm if you get niggles.
I did my 57's for 10 miles 'counting my strides' doing 23 one legged for 15secs.
suprised myself and the counting helps take your mind of the pain of running :-)
Brad got me into it with the 'Pose' method. Not to be confused with Brad posing!

speak soon Mate. Returning to training in a few weeks!! woohoo!

Sags said...

Most excellent. If it is good for the Matster then it is good for me!

Westy said...

Hi good to hear your recovery is progressing. Iv just got myself a pair of the newton running shoes. They promote the fore-foot pose style method of running. Iv also just discoverd some info on chi running which is similar to pose. Prob worth a look on you-tube for info drills ect.