Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 22 September 2009

No Duathlon

Well, with less than 2 weeks until the Oulton Park Duathlon, I have made a decision not to race. I suppose those who voted for the Achilles won’t hold on the poll are correct! However, it’s not that it won’t hold; in fact my running is progressing despite my Achilles not being totally healed (don’tthink it ever will be!). I just don’t want to risk the pounding it would get if I raced a duathlon. Instead, I will run the Honington 10k on 30 Sep. This race will be treated as a ‘tempo’ effort and will not be full race effort. I think it is a safer option because I know that I will murder myself on the bike if I did the duathlon – this may stress my Achilles seeing as that is how the original injury occurred. I really wanted a duathlon ranking but in reality it means nothing. A 42 min 10k will do me fine at Honington.

I continue to do my Achilles rehab. In fact, I have to do the stretching exercises throughout the day. This means that I have to go to the stairs at work and stretch away whilst people stroll by giving me weird looks. I hold on to the banister and pull up to give myself a weighted stretch. The amount of people who reckon I am doing ballet is increasing – so much now that I pre-empt any comments with: “stretching my injured Achilles; move along please.”

Training has been ok really. For me, it is now officially off season, hence I am trying to take it easy. . . er. . . didn’t really happen over the weekend, so a day off today! Recent training:

Thursday and Friday were easy days with just some bike swim sessions

Saturday was 5.5 mile run at average pace of 6:58. This included a couple of tempo efforts of 1 mile at 6:12 pace and half a mile at tempo pace. Did 20 mins spin on the bike to loosen off. The Achilles was a bit sore after this so there was plenty of ice and stretching

Sunday was a reduced club ride of 40 miles. There was only 6 of us and I took my single speed to make things a bit more taxing. I was working reasonably hard in places and the single speed makes for an interesting ride when everyone else has a spread of gears.

Monday was an hour on the bike, finishing at the pool for a quick dip; then a spin back home. After work I ran 9 miles at 3:35 marathon pace. I was tired but the relaxed pace was easy enough to maintain. I got all scientific and took my average HR for the run – 126. This meant that I was nice and aerobic; maybe a nice Ironman run pace?

My plans for next year are taking shape but I will wait for a while before I publish on the blog. With a group of guys racing the Barcelona Challenge IM distance early October, I want to wait and see what the troops do in Spain before I document my plan.

3 comments:

Michael said...

sorry to hear you are not doing the duathlon. I do think you have made a good call not to over do it and running next weeke would be a better option.

I hope to see you there maybe even have a race. No running for me at the moment just swimming really so top heavy again.

Sags said...

Happy to join you at the Tinman IM shuffle on Wed dude!

Turbo Man said...

Take it slow mate, no need to rush things this side of Christmas.

Make sure your 2010 plans include some sportives we can ride together, but bear in mind I plan to be on ICSC from 8 Mar - 14 May 10, so would not be able to plan on being away for a whole weekend in this period.