Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. πŸ€• 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 30 April 2023

Key Sessions Continue

 

A week since the Duathlon last Sunday and it’s been a busy work period, which is likely to continue over the next few weeks 🀨. Next week I am in Bristol on Wednesday, which means I’ll miss another track session. I use these sessions to sharpen up and there’s not much better to get the most out of run training. But I need to remember that my run is in a good place and I just need to maintain. So some bike do use is needed. 

Last week I bagged. Gym session on Tuesday - really trying to tick over with the conditioning and not stop altogether. I was away with work on Wednesday but bagged an early steady run on Thursday before travelling home. On Friday I completed a Zwift race to help the bike form hopefully. Saturday was a day off to so domestics jobs that I’ve been neglecting. 

On to today and I’d planned a key session. The focus was on the bike but with a Duathlon slant. That means I needed a pre-exhaust before a hard bike. So I did a decent run warm up then 6 x 800m in the park over a course is used before last year. I remember feeling crappy in those sessions, struggling to maintain 3:50 per k pace. Today was very different and confirmed that my running is in a good place. First rep at 3:33 per k pace, which was the slowest rep. Three reps were under 3:30; fastest 3:27. Pleased with this run session but my head want more. I felt like I’d reached terminal velocity. So my logic says I need to do more short fast sessions to try and get the muscle pathways used to faster paces. I want a sub-18 min 5k but that means running at 3:35 pace. Don’t think I can sustain that pace for 5k 😳. But all good I suppose. 

After the 800m reps I jumped straight onto a Zwift race again - same course as Friday. It worked really well as the smaller group meant a tactical race. Of course it went ballistic on any sniff of incline. My mega were soon toast but a great session. 

Next race is 10 May at the evening event on a Wednesday evening. I did this race last year and was pleased with a 39:24 finish on this lumpy route. I feel so much in a better place with my running now and would be disappointed not to run sun 39 min. But no pressure - it’s a training race! 

More to come soon as the Darley Moor Duathlon approaches on 28 May 23. 

Later nobodies 

No comments: