Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 15 April 2023

Another Key Duathlon Session 🏃‍♂️🚴🏃‍♂️

 A week after the session blogged last time and here we are again - Key Duathlon Session number 2. The Zwift Tiny Race series format of 4 short races with an hour really is good training value for sprint duathlon focus. This week the ‘Tiny’ races were slightly longer, which meant it would be difficult to run inbetween. So today I basically completed a sprint duathlon by incorporating a Parkrun 5k, then back to the Zwift set up for the Tiny Race series, then finally a short run off what was always going to be wrecked legs - especially after a good week of training  

I drove to the Wammy Parkrun, which is only a few minutes away. Then completed a proper warm up before starting a tempo effort. As we set off I thought I was going too fast around 3:46 per k pace. I’d estimated I need 3:55 pace for my tempo. So I tucked into a small group as we entered the drag incline towards the turn point. 




I gradually upped the pace over the last 2k for a finish of 19:03. Probably a bit too fast but it did make wonder how I could knock over a minute off that time 😬. 

So back home quickly and set up for the Zwift Tiny races. I thought I’d struggle but didn’t feel too bad and the wattage was better than last week. But those short hard efforts hurt🥵





I certainly thought the final run would be a hobble but felt good, averaging 3:54 pace for a 2k acceleration run. Could have done more but opted to play it safe and finish a very productive session there. 


The Vaporflys felt very good. The legs are not totally mashed but I’m sure I’ll be a wee bit sore tomorrow. 

Next Sunday is the first Duathlon of the year at Dunham Massey. This is a low key event but sometimes gets some speedy folks doing what I’m doing - honing the transition and race scenario. I’ll use the road bike as prep for draft legal events. Looking forward to it. Hope the weather is decent. 


No comments: