Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 April 2023

Key Duathlon Session


I had planned to hit my local Parkrun today and go for a time - maybe even try for a sub 18-min clocking . However, I thought I was drifting back into the danger zone of running well and doing more and more and then getting injured. Still feeling really happy with the run form so let’s be wise and focus on the Duathlon goal of Darley Moor daft legal event on 28 May 23. 

After the Nantwich 10k the mega were sore but not horrendous. I was able to joint the NTC chain gang on Tuesday evening. 


I felt quite strong actually and really enjoyed the ride in the evening sun. I had a scary moment having to bunny hop a crater size pot hole. The roads really are crappy in the UK. I managed a dig up Swinnerton bank, ending with a PR up that segment. So that’s a good indication of form. 

After a few easy days to full recover from the weekend and chain gang I switched the plan from Parkrun to a Duathlon specific session. I used the Zwift Tiny Race series to create a brick session. These Tiny Race series takes place over just an hour, with a short race every 15 minutes (4 in total). I used the short recoveries to run short and hard to create a multiple run/bike/run/bike/run etc. The legs kind of blew in the 3rd Tiny Race but I just kept pushing, using the race scenario to really eke out the effort. But despite the blown legs I was really pleased with the run pace I could sustain. The runs ended being:

2k, 3:53 pace

1k, 3:44 pace

1k, 3:43 pace

0.5k, 4:09 pace (hilly!)

2k, 3:49 pace

Happy with that run set, especially the last 2k run, which really was carrying some fatigue in the legs. The format worked really well and the the end of the run efforts left me around 50 seconds to transition back to the bike. If I maintain the form I have now I’ll be happy to race at Darley Moor as I am. 

That said I am toying with the idea of going for a 5k time by entering the Staffs county track and field champs on 13 May. I love track running but I’m under no illusions; I’d be lapped at least once! But the track is probably my best chance of dipping under 18 min. More to come on this potential race - which isn’t that far away! 



No comments: