Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 23 April 2023

Dunham Massey Duathlon

 


Today was my first multi-sport event at the Dunham Massey Sprint Duathlon. This race was organised by MCA Fitness, which is a small event company focusing on grass roots multi-sport around the South Manchester area. The sprint event was held alongside the Go-Tri shorter event. These races are great training to hone the form and get some race scenario transition practice done. I knew I’d been running well and went off reasonably hard. I was towards the front of the field as the pack stretched out into the housing estate. The course was really twisty with lots of sharp corners and a good amount of compacted trail surfaces. So I was please to clock 18:53 for just over 5k. By my reckoning that gave me a leg 1 finish in 4th place. 

I knew that there was a strong cyclist in my age group behind me on his TT bike. So I expected to be caught somewhere on the first lap of 2. The pot holes were everywhere; the roads were truly appalling. But I felt quite strong. No idea where others were behind me. As it was, my age group colleague past me with about 2k to ride. If I could stay in contention I may be able to retake the age group lead. 

I actually had a decent transition and the 2 of us headed into the second run together. Holding a pace if 3:50 per k was enough to maintain my 4th place - I 🤔 think. 

So a good race and I’m happy. The new NB Fuelcell SC Elite race shoes were great; really like the cushioned but springy feel. Had a slight rub on the inner lace cord which is inside the sock liner. I will look to sort this before the next Duathlon as the shows are good for fast transitions and speedy too. 



Next up is the Clayton 10k, which I may mix up as a big training session 5k easy, 5k hard. 

No comments: