Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Lots Going On

Hello bloggers. Firstly, I apologise for my previous blatantly self-obsessed post! Let’s hope this post is more constructive. Where do I start!? So much has been going on now that the race season has started!

I suppose that the London Marathon is as good as any place to start. I have to admit, I suffered from FLM withdrawal last Sunday. Watching the masses start in bright sunshine, I wished that I could be there with them. After racing last year, I could relate to the course and the atmosphere so much more. That said, I seem to have forgotten the agony I went through last year – both in the race and trying to get home! I had always planned to revisit the FLM in 2010 and make an attempt to break 2:50. However, that goal seems a long way off right now, as I can’t even jog down my garden path! Anyway, there were some great performances this year. How on Earth Mat Stephenson gets into shape so quickly, recovers from an Ironman and runs 2:46 at London, I will never comprehend! It is safe to say that the Mat, along with his new nickname, ‘The Legend’, is well and truly back! I for one am very happy about this; partly because I am the RAF Triathlon Team Manager this year, but mostly because Mat is a rare breed of all round good guy – welcome back Mat (though I am secretly stomping my feet because Mat is now a Vet 8-).

Talking of all round good guys, Daz Sharpe produced a great run at London. He ran 3:03 for the 26.2 miles. Now I know that Daz is capable of 2:45 for the marathon. But with his health problems, IM South Africa just 3 weeks previous and seemingly endless bad luck, his result was class in my book. It must be so hard knowing that you are capable of so much but always suffering with health problems. I have said it many time to Daz, but he will come good soon and show us all just how fast he really is.

Did I mention health problems? Well JC certainly had some bad luck for his FLM. With a recent 1:19 half marathon to his name, JC was capable of around 2:50, I reckon. Sadly, for JC, he was suffering from some unknown bug or something and he had to retire from the race soon after half way. JC had really been focussing on London and he is totally gutted. I feel for him but let’s hope he can regroup and show us what he can do at another race.

My Achilles is still causing me trouble and I have not run since Cambridge Duathlon on 19 April. I am still swimming and biking; indeed, my biking seems to be going really well. I have another 10 mile TT near Cambridge on Thursday evening and I have entered the Squires and Shires Cycle Sportif on 3 may. This is 80 miles of enjoyable hills. It is the event that I crashed quite badly in last year. I intend to stay safe this year. I think Turbo Man and Mike masters completed this route in 4:15 last year, which is pretty good going considering they both stopped to attend to me as I lay sprawled across the road surrounded by squashed banana that I thought was my brain spilling out of my smashed helmet!

Tomorrow is the Inter-Services Duathlon at Hullavington. I had intended this to be my final duathlon of April and then move on to triathlons with some speed in the legs. Alas, I am not sure when I will open my triathlon season – maybe September! Anyway, I am attending the duathlon as Team Manager and will also be on the prowl for some tasty Triangles content.

Train well people.

1 comment:

Daz Sharpe said...

Stick with it Sags, I know its very frustrating but you will get better and you will be back and in form. Thanks for the kind words in your latest post. Good luck with the sportif and try to stay on two wheels!