Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 1 May 2009

I Can't Run But.........

.........I seem to be biking rather well! More on that later.

Another busy week has flown by and I am finding it hard to squeeze everything I want to complete into the day – I need a 26 hour day! I especially want to get the next edition of Triangles finished. To do that I will have to make this edition slightly shorter than the previous iterations – sorry! Mind you, some people may prefer a shorter read?

So then, a quick blast of what’s been going on.

Inter-Services Duathlon took place on 29 April. The weather was kind and we had 20 RAF Triathletes participating. The start of the race was awesome – a Hercules aircraft super low fly-over organised by event head honco Chris Stuart of the Army (well he works in 2 Group!).



Overall, the army won and we came second. In fact, there were only a hand full of Navy dudes present so second was guarenteed! The RAF girls did really well and fielded 5 triathletes, including some novices who did just great. Mention must go to Angelina Littlefield who had completed the London Marathon in a very respectable 3:57 and yet still was able to do well at the duathlon.

Out of the blokes, I was mightily impressed by Mike Westwell’s bike split (4th fastest of the day and quickest of the RAF boys). Andy Fisher was the top finisher in 5th place – a tantilisingly 6 seconds away from a podium finish. We had some good performances lower down too, with Dale Grassby grabbing 10th place and Jase Walkley proving that my prediction of greatness is not that far off the mark by finishing very strongly to take 14th place just 24 seconds behind Dale. Well done to all.

As for my training, still no running due to my Achilles problem. My swimming goes well some days and terrible other days! I am where I am and I am focussing on enjoyig the H2O – if that is possible!

My bike legs continue to work just fine! After a decent turbo session on Tuesday I had an easy day whilst helping with the RAF element of the Inter-Services Duathlon. That said, I was feeling more tired from watching etc than when I race! I had missed the St Ives CC 10 mile TT due to the duathlon so I had arranged to guest at Cambridge CC evening 10 miler on Thursday. It was good to ride a different course and the route is obviously faster than our club course as I recorded a pb 22:43. How chuffed am I!! My first ride under 23 mins and an average speed of 26.41mph grabbed me 5th place overall and missed second place by only 13 sec.

I am riding a sportif on Sunday; only 80 miles......Eekkk! from 10 miles flat out to 80 miles....er...flat out?! This event was the one I crashed in last year so the main focus is to just finish.

Train well bloggers.

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Well done on your 10 mile PB buddy. Enjoy the Squires and Spires and make sure you finish this year.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Nice PB young Sags!