Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 20 April 2009

Cambridge Duathlon - The Good, The bad and The Ugly

The Good – Despite not performing that well, I managed to win my age group at the Cambridge Duathlon and bag 21st overall. This was a World Champs Qualifier and the distances were 7.5k run, 40k bike, 7.5k run. With a windy bike leg, it was never going to be an easy race. In fact, these duathlons are very painful – in my opinion, far harder than triathlon!

The Bad – I didn’t feel that good and it took 20k of the bike leg before I found my ‘bike legs’. By then the damage was done and my bike split of 1:05 was not really good enough. My legs were heavy on the runs and it is clear that my running is not where it should be.

The Ugly – I have damaged my Achilles tendon and am hobbling badly today. I am very doubtful for the Inter-Services Duathlon on 29 April now. Not a happy chap!

On a brighter note, Jackie Wren was also racing at Cambridge Du and won her age group and finished 15th lady overall. A great performance as she has not been feeling too healthy and was very down after a bad race at the National Duathlon champs 2 weeks ago. Her time was a massive 9 minutes quicker at Cambridge! The distances are the same, although broken down differently. I was 2 mins slower at Cambridge; I know it is hard to compare courses and conditions but it is safe to say that Jackie’s performance was really good!

On another brighter note, Jase Walkley grabbed 3rd place overall and win his age group at the Oulton Park Duathlon. He also had the fastest bike split by some margin! He is definitely one to watch this season – there you go, Jase, nothing like some pressure heaped on you!!

No comments: