Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 7 July 2008

July Racing

Three races in three weeks coming up. Firstly, the RAF Sprint Champs at RAF Cranwell on Wed 9 July. Then the Inter-Services Olympic Distance Triathlon at Tallington Lakes on 16 July. Thirdly, it is the Trentham Big Half (Half Ironman distance) on 27 July. I have just completed 3 hard weeks of training and the bike and run are feeling good. My swim is, as normal, just about passable! So, the focus is to just enjoy the racing and try my hardest. After the Trentham Big Half it is recovery and tick over for the World Long Course Champs in Holland….EEK!!

The weather forecast for the RAF Sprint Champs is not good; yet more rain and wind – I hate the bad weather!!! Some of the fast boys are out for this event and although I have a shot at the vets title, realistically, making the top 3 overall will be difficult. I will be happy to stay safe!

Race reports to follow. Tip for Cranwell is Andy Fish’ for the win, closely followed by Daz ‘fast man’ Sharpe. Jase Walkley is back from the Falklands and may just go very well. Mike Westwell is in good form also. Not sure if Greg MacDonald is turning up. Whatever happens, it will be a hotly contested event. I am trying a new tactic……swim hard……bike hard……run hard.

As far as training goes, I have managed to maintain some hard sessions. Last Sunday I needed another long ride. I would have preferred 4 hours on the bike but I had to leave at 0600 as it was, and could not fit 4 hours into my day. So, I went out on the single speed and rode round the fens of Cambridgeshire for 3 hours – very flat and very windy.




Riding with someone is so much better. Turbo Man will be gone come October so I am on the look out for a new biking partner. Nige Porter is a possibility, but he is very secretive about his training and I have yet to entice him out on a long ride. Paul Fullalove is new to Tri and he lives round the corner. Now he is very keen and could be the guy to drag out this winter – beware Paul, the bike pest is out there!!

5 comments:

Michael said...

Same for me and the long bike this weekend I was too tired to even think about it. Time to swap things about. I'm now of thursday and friday and going for a long one with Westy around the IS course. Should be fun! Good luck for wednesday, i'll see you there but my money would still be on you setting the pace.

Daz Sharpe said...

Sags, i'm only plodding round on wednesday after the weekends events. Noted your plans and seems like a long wind down for the worlds? I plan on doing a middle distance 3 weeks before almere and possibly a standard distance 2 weeks before then onto the wind down. See you wednesday.

Turbo Man said...

Interesting thoughts about tapering - sound slike a subject for a Blog article. Watch this space.

I'm also planning to cruise round at Cranwell, although I fully expect that as soon as the starter says "Go!" I will go as hard as my aching legs will carry me. The bike course suits me so I will hopefully be able to put in a decent bike split if nothing else.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone and comparing HIM stories.

Iron Girl said...

I can't make Cranwell, so I'll be thinking of you all on Wednesday. The race of the tired legs - could make for interesting results. I reckon Sags, for the first time, might not be the most over trained individual on the start line. Let me know the results.

Sags said...

Daz, I just can't see your taking it easy dude! Anyway, your easy may equate to my flat out effort! I have given myself 4 weeks after the Trentham big half to recover for Almere. i know it takes me a long time to get the fresh legs back after a long event. I won't race between Trentham and Almere butI hope to be able to sharpen up in training.