Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 4 July 2008

Brick 'till You're Sick!

I have been on the turbo again today. Here I am pushing along at full effort. Boy the turbo makes you pull some wierd faces!



Turbo Man has been helping me with some bike sessions lately. The latest session, completed today was 6 x 6 mins at 330W. This session has to be completed on the turbo trainer for maximum effect and to monitor the power output. The idea is that you are riding at 105% of Functional Threshold Power (FTP) – check out Turbo Man’s blog for a full explanation (he posted some info on this a while back). Well, it sure is a hard session…..and I liked it! I had 2 and a half mins recovery between each rep and warmed up for 14 minutes with progressive spinning and some sprints. Don’t tell Turbo Man, but the last 6 min rep was completed at 340W. He is bound to tell me off for that!

I needed a tempo run this week too and the only way I was going to fit that in was to run off the bike today. The turbo session is hard but I knew that I was feeling ok because I have that strange feeling when I can be pushing hard but not breathing hard………anybody else get that? Sure, my legs were burning but that’s just a mental game. So, off the bike and 5.1 miles completed in 32 mins. Had that strange not breathing hard feeling again. Does this mean that I am in good shape? Does it mean that I must push harder? That must be it!! Train harder…..push harder. Daz is right; at my age I must not succumb to the need for rest.

4 comments:

Turbo Man said...

You have to push it don't you?

Good skills buddy, and that is fantastic run pace off a session like that. Did you monitor HR at all? It would be useful to get some idea of how hard you are working so that we can assess whether or not you are at the right level on your turbo. I'm at about 95%MHR on the 6 x 6 session.

Unknown said...

I like the sound of that, 'brick till your sick' if you dont mind i will use that and come up with a suitably tough session for the guys out here!

Turbo Man said...

My Blog post that Sags mentioned is here:

http://turbomanstriblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/turbo-training.html

Sags said...

Didn't monitor HR T Man. Didn't want to scrae myself! Felt relaxed on the run and suspect that my legs can't match my lung capacity on the bike! New legs please!