Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Thursday 5 June 2008

Turbo Time

The intensity is ramping up now and I completed my first turbo effort session yesterday. I had forgotten just how effective turbo training is - no junctions, no free wheeling, no falling off! Great for smoothing the pedaling action out too. I have a Cateye Cycle Simulator, pictured left. It is a real heavy duty beast and advertised as the only turbo that you can do full on sprints in........I checked this and you can!!

Anyway, I was going to do a peaking session of short efforts of 1 min duration. However, the wise old (very old!) Turbo Man advised me that a short max effort peaking session may not be ideal right now for my long distance goals this year. I could see his logic - I just thought that a short effort session would inflict the most pain on myself! Turbo Man advised that 2 x 20 min threshold efforts would be far more beneficial. As I had not done this session before, I had no idea what my threshold, in relation to power output (Wattage), was. I warmed up and did a few spin ups to lubricate the legs and then hit the first 20 min effort. Bare in mind that the power output is relative to the turbo trainer being used - so not worth comparing Wattage between turbo trainers - especially those renowned over power reading Tax Flow turbo trainers!!.

I selected 250W as a starting level and maintained this for 10 mins. Then 5 mins at 260W, 2 mins at 280W, 2 mins at 300W, 3 mins at 310W. 10 min recovery spin and then the next 20 min as 10 min at 260W, 2 min at 290W, 3 min at 310W, 4 min at 330W, 1 min at 400W. Then 1 min rest followed by 5 x 15 second flat out sprints in the hardest gear on 1 min (that is 15 sec sprint, 45 sec spin). managed to top out on the sprints at 850W. After that lot I was rather tired!

I though it was a good session, but Turbo Man tutted and showed me the error of my ways! i had crossed over too many intensity levels. Better off to have maintained a steady power output for each 20 mins and save the flat out sprints for later in the year. Trouble was, I had no idea what level to aim at. Next time I will go for 2 x 20 mins at 290W and see how that feels.

For the very first time in my triathlon training, I am going open water swim training on Friday! Looking forward to that...........I must swim in a straight line....... I must swim in a straight line.....I must......

5 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Sags mate, you will upset some people (I'm thinking people like Frank and Kelda!) by posting that you reached 850 watts.

A nice intro session but lets get on with the real work now; remember, your A race is Almere.

Kelda said...

I just laughed at the reference to yours and my turbo being overpowered!

Turbo Man said...

Yeah, it's a real "Mine's bigger than yours" type quest!

Kelda said...

What's happened to Jase's blog?

Sags said...

Jase is having trouble accessing his blog in the Falklands. I am in contact via email and he is back to beasting himself!