Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 29 May 2023

Darley Moor Duathlon - Target Race



Target Duathlon race completed 🏃‍♂️🚴🏃‍♂️ yesterday. Headline: Happy with the performance but transitions cost an Age Group podium. Qualified for 2024 European Sprint Duathlon Champs. 

Here’s the detail. As a reminder, I was trying to qualify for the 60-64 age group, which is the category I move into next year (2024). This means my finishing position in my current 55-59 age group is irrelevant - but I still race to win! But it gets harder to compete as you get towards the top of the age group. 

Run 1

The weather conditions were good as I warmed up. Some wind but that’s normal for Darley Moor as the site is exposed. As I warmed up the sensations were good and I was phyched to get going - it had been 9 months of focused training to get to this point. I completed a couple of warm up laps on the bike to remind myself of the circuit. It was great to ride on the wide sweeping bends again. Some activation drills and strides to follow up and I was ready. Race shoes of choice: New Balance SC Elite. I chose these because they are fast and easier to slip on and off in transition. . . 

The first run commenced and I found myself slightly hemmed in by runners starting too slowly for me. The field of runners soon started to this out and I was back in around d 20th position. I knew I had to move up but didn’t want to red line it. Gradually the runners ahead started to come back to me but we were moving fast - faster than I thought we would. I knew I had to be near the front to stand a chance of making the front bike pack or the race could be over for me. . . Or over in the way I wanted it to pan out. 

As we reached the top end of the circuit I found myself latched onto 2 other guys and we moved away from those behind. The lead guy was gone, pulling away on his own, obviously far faster than anyone else in the race. But my group filled 4th, 5th and 6th position from the wave. I was happy with this and knew that I couldn’t up the pace anyway; I was on the limit. I’d forgotten my watch so I had no idea what my pace actually was - doh. 


As we completed the first lap I sensed that we were not going to catch the 3 runners ahead. But I was starting to struggle. I hung in until the top of the circuit but found the elastic stretching. If I could stay close to these 2 runners I may be able to get into the front group with a decent transition. Run 1 time 17:40. Previous best on this course was 18:21. 

Bike

The gap wasn’t massive by the time we ran into T1. I had an ok transition and hopped into my bike, shoes already clipped in. I found myself with another chap but hanging behind the lead group by approx 50 metres. The lead runner was out on his bike alone in the distance. If my new friend worked with me my intend was to bridge to that lead group. He did work with me - very well actually - and we joined the group of around 8 riders. I surfed the wheels trying to recover. It actually didn’t take long and my new focus was not to expend too much energy. The group was actually moving fast and the accelerations out of corners and to pass back markers was hard enough for me. At one point the group split. I’m not sure if people were making attempts to breakaway but I had to bridge again. Successful, the group continued, gathering more riders as we lapped riders. 


As we approached T2 I could see those riders with more laps to complete. I wanted a swift T2. Bike split official 28:10.  Fasted I’ve been on this course but the group riding obviously helped. 

Run 2

I racked my bike ok and helmet off. So much for the quick T2. I had not loosened the laces lock enough and ended up struggling to get my left shoe on. By the time I’d figured what the problem was I could see runners heading out onto the run - darn it! 

As I headed out I could see a line of runners ahead and I counted back to my position- 8th. Not bad but I should have been with the 2 runners ahead of me. They were close but the gap wasn’t closing, as I tried to relax and let the run flow. I was hurting but maintaining. But so we’re the 2 guys ahead. The good thing was that I seemed safe in 8th and I continued to push as hard as I could. I wished I could have upped the pace that 1 or 2 % more. But once over the finish line I was spent. Run 2 time 9:10. Previous best on this course 9:42.  

So 8th in the wave and fastest ever runs. Happy with that. It was very close for the 55-59 Age Cat race. I was 4th but only 19 seconds off the win. How much better would I have been with a faster transition?! Not sure but definitely would have been able to fight it out with the 2 guys in 6th and 7th. Oh well, I’m still happy. 


My qualification for the European Champs was based on being faster than the 60-64 category top 3 and there being nobody else in my current age category also moving up next year to the 60-64 category. 

Well firstly I was close to 4 minutes faster than the winner of the 60-64 category. Secondly, after checking the participants in my age category now it was confirmed that the 3 guys ahead of me were nit moving up next year like me. 


Success, then. I await formal confirmation from the BTF but I’m pretty sure it a done deal. Now to regroup and plan the rest of the season. That will be the topic for the next post. 

Recovery and reflection on the job done ✊😎

No comments: