Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 21 May 2023

Road Bike TT K48/10

 


Yesterday was the planned 10 mile road bike TT on the K48/10 course from Weston (near Stafford) to Stone and back. The turn was on the A34 roundabout outside Stone. Being a major road, this turn point was always going to be a potential slowing down section - safety first. 

Overall, I’m very happy with my ride. I felt strong and hit some decent wattage for me. The weather was great too, which felt unusual! 

I tried to pace the effort on the first out section as the Sandon climb is significant and very easy to blow a gasket. I’d reccy’d the route last week, riding it hard and was aiming for a sub-26 min time. As I hit the outward Sandon climb I felt strong and was pushing 320W. I eased back as I knew this was not sustainable. On the road bike my focus was to try and get as aero as possible. I felt like I was but looking at the photos I don’t think I am at all! But I feel like that’s about as aero as I’m going to get. 

Creating the hill I caught my minute man. 




This is always nice but equally I was soo caught number 22, the guy a minute behind me in a speedy TT bike. On the decent he flew by me, making use of his far superior aero position - I told myself!  

I did get held up at the roundabout turn but what feels like an age is probably more like a few seconds. Onto the return leg and of course the hill has to be negotiated again in the opposite direction. I still felt strong and safe in the knowledge that once crested it was a fast last few miles to the finish line. 



I began to fade in the last stretch but was still over 40kph. A finish time of 24:56 was really pleasing. I didn’t think I’d get any where near 25 min. It was a decent day for conditions I think. 

So that’s the prep for the Darly Moor Duathlon complete. Just a taper week to tick over. I still have a faint ache in my right foot arch. Hope this doesn’t turn into a sustained injury. 

On a more personal note - to self as nobody else reads this blog anymore - I have turmoil at home. I’m not going into details but things are pretty stressful. After 9 months of preparing there is a risk that I’ll get ill or some other ‘occurrence’ prevents or impacts the race next Sunday. Who knows but I’ve done the best I can with what’s possible. 

Later me . . . 

No comments: