Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 26 May 2023

Tapering is not Easy

Target race on Sunday at Darley Moor Duathlon and I’ve juggled a busy work week and tapering for the last 6 days. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Just do less and not as intense. But anyone who trains seriously knows that easing back plays tricks on the mind and you can start to feel stale. . . Heavy legs and tired for no reason. I’ve been like this loads of times prior to races but be a use I’ve made such a change in how I’ve trained since September. The strength and conditioning focus for the last 9 months has brought amazing results. My running has been transformed, with some race clicking a far beyond what I ever thought possible as the years have taken their toll on the old body. 

So I’m saying that this Duathlon has been THE target for 9 months and the form I’ve shown has raised my expectations massively. Just hope I can bring it home on Sunday. I do have to remember that I am at the top of my age group now and will be racing young 54 year olds😆. That actual race wave is 50+. So the race format will be against blokes 10 years younger. 

The bike is prepared, with some taped strips to count the 8 bike laps. I’ll be ok counting the run laps 😎


Next post will be the race report. Aims for each leg of the race?

Run 1. Sub 18 min for the 4.8k. Best is 18:21
Bike. Sub-20 min for the 18k. I’ve dipped under 30 min on the TT bike but this is a road bike
Run 2. Sub 9:30. Beat is 9:42

So pretty much stretch targets all round. Lastly, and probably most importantly, qualify for the 2024 European Sprint Duathlon Champs. My qualification will be for the 60 - 64 age group as the championship is in 2024 when I move up a category. Realistically, I should be in with a chance of qualifying. But you never know who comes out of the woodwork and you never know how you will feel on the day. Not had a bad race all year so far. Hope Sunday won’t be the first. . . 

No comments: