Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 31 December 2018

9-Day Training Week

Getting older has certainly shown me that I cannot recover half as quickly as I used to when I was in my 40s. The 50s has seen a rapid decline in recovery abilities. So during this Christmas period I have been re-thinking how I could train productively. The answer is more recovery. I have read about the 9, 10, 11-daytraining week for older athletes; this theory could suit me. We, in general, tend to plan everything based on the 7-day week. I am looking at moving to a 9-day training week. Now this doesn't mean cramming more into an extended period! It means more recovery. This recovery could be in the form of complete rest or active easy days. With a 9-day week I aim to include 3 hard sessions. So the schedule looks something like this: Some weeks will encompass 2 weekends, whilst other weeks will only have 1 weekend. I have yet to see how my new job will impact training routine. So there will be more tweaks to come. For now, getting organized is the aim and this is quite motivating. I ran for 14k yesterday and the legs were complaining - hamstrings/glutes specifically. The legs were tired prior to running; so I kind of expected this soreness but it is quite intense! Doh. This shows just how much recovery I need! But I cannot spend 3 days waiting for good legs to complete what is a low intensity run! Slightly frustrated!

No comments: