Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Yes Running Man!!

Yes! I did used to run! But I still pulled ugly faces! A packet of Jaffa Cakes to the first person who can name the event!



Yesterday was a big day for me. I ventured out for my first run since 19 April. After receiving treatment at Headley Court and continuing to do rehab exercises my Achilles seems to be responding well. That said, it feels ‘different’ to my good Achilles on the other leg (why wouldn’t it be on the other leg!). Anyway, like a good patient, I started running as instructed by the experts at Headley. In total, I ran for 19 mins at a very slow pace. The run was in the form of a pyramid session, so the maximum stint of continuous running was 5 mins. The Achilles held up – hoorah! My legs felt terrible! They were really screaming at me for not pedalling and I think it will take some time to get back any resemblance of speed into my running.

My goal is to get enough run training completed (with a healthy Achilles) in time to race at the Oulton Park Duathlon on 4 October. This is the final UK Duathlon Series ranking race. With a 3rd and 1st already achieved, there is an outside chance of still getting a ranking for 2009. Whilst I would love to get back some 35 min 10k run speed, I don’t think that there is enough time. I need to build up the running gradually and I will be happy if I can get to a 40 min 10k. If I can retain my improved bike speed, who knows what may be possible on the day. It’s a smooth race car circuit – purrrrrrrrrr. Here is Jase racing on the course earlier this year – he is very military isn’t he?!



Last Sunday I completed an early morning 25 mile TT on the F1 course. My legs didn’t really get going and it was a bit of a struggle. I clocked 57:58 but my actual time on the results sheet was 58:17. This was due to my late start. Not quite sure what went wrong but never mind; it was a good training session. The event was a middle markers event for those riders that had not broken the hour for 25 miles. As I had broken the hour after entering this event, I was not eligible for any prizes – but I was fastest on the day. Paul and Hamish both had great rides for their first 25. Paul clocked 1:00:16 (I know what it feels like being so close mate!) and Hamish 1:09:30. Another winter of bike work, and these 2 guys could see significant improvements.

More happenings recently that have caught my eye recently are Westy’s Antwerp 70.3 race. 4:20 is a good time and qualifies him for the World 70.3 Champs. What a great season Westy is having! Daz Cole also did this race and was not far behind Westy. If we could just get Daz out in RAF colours!!

Also, we have some new Ironman triathletes, in the form of Reg Swallow and Mal Rose. It sounded a tough old day at IM UK Bolton – sounds exotic eh! Won’t get me doing that race!

Some more evening TTs for me this week but I think I have used up my quota of PBs for 2009!

1 comment:

jc said...

Well done mate. You're running now about as much as me, and I'm not injured. Bike is the way forward.