Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Who Am I!



Strange question eh? But I am wondering who I am! Am I Sags the triathlete? or am I Sags the cycling TT man? Now that I have started running again, I am confused. When I run now I am worried that I am losing my bike legs. When I just cycle, I am thinking that I really must get some running done! I need to know who I am. Any suggestions?

I walk into my downstairs toilet and there hangs my BTF National Champs Medal from this years' National Duathlon. I think "Yes!, I am a triathlete!" Well, actually I am a duathlete who tries to swim! But then I look at me TT clockings and I am all for trying to beat the cyclists down at the club TT. A 25 mile TT in 55:49 and a 10 mile TT in 21:25 aint bad. And there may be a chance of further improvement next season. Ahhhhhhhhhh. My head hurts!!

All this sounds pretty trivial when compared to real life hardships! It's crunch time. I am 45 next month. Should I continue to run (which feels bloody awful at the moment! 8 min miling is killing me!) or I turn to cycling. . .

There is a 3rd option! Just squat in Costa Coffee and chill?

5 comments:

Turbo Man said...

If you want an unbiased opinion then I am probably not the man. However, you did ask. Become a cyclist, you know it makes sense.

jc said...

I've been having the same problems. When people ask me what I do I now say I'm a cyclist and do a bit of running on the side, whereas I used to say triathlete. But I can't reasonably claim to be a triathlete any more. You probably can still claim to be a triathlete as you're only out from triathlon because of injury. Costa? Mate, they're fascists, although not as bad as Starbucks. Use your local independent coffee shop.

Kelda said...

Having taken 5-6 weeks out of running back in March/April I can sympathise ... however, I never had the dilemma of believing I was a cyclist, one glance at my powertap files proves that! Although I do enjoy cycling and have signed up for the Ride Across Britain Challenge next June :-). It took me about 6 weeks to get back to any kind of running form, it just takes time. 6 weeks after that I ran 3:34 IM split, I know I'm a runner ... but with an overall time of 10:48 most definitely a triathlete too. Just look at your tri/duath performances (Almere for starters) ... you are a multisport athlete, but you are also a great cyclist, you just have to decide which gives you more pleasure if you feel the need to chose, because after all this is recreation we are talking about, not a life and death situation upon which your family depends for its income! Personally I'd get bored with one sport only and I think you would too after a while.

Turbo Man said...

Bored? Never! There's an endless world of bike bling to immerse yourself in.

It's like women and shoes! :-)

Sags said...

Thanks guys. I am continuing with multisport. Just can't give up everything after all the hard work. I just needto remember that I won't be able to compete with the pure cyclists! Just hope the running injury stays away!