Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 10 May 2009

I am a Slower Rider!

Well, all I have done is cycle training lately. Julie has not been well and I have missed some swim sessions. triathlon really does feel a world away right now. This is sad but at least I am still riding my bike.

I rode the club 10 mile TT last Wed evening, and what a blustery ride that was! I was fighting to control the bike much of the ride and was convinced it was a slow ride. i was very surprised to see that I had equalled my PB at 23:47. Most guys were slower than normal so I was quite close to the real cyclists. The next 2 days were just tick over with easy rides. Then yesterday I travelled to Cambridge to do an Open 10 mile TT on the supposedly fast E2/10 course. The weather was not kind again and me and Jase resigned ourselves to a slow ride - not that we would give up trying of course!


The outward leg was a real struggle. The wind was in your face and there was no rhythm to be found. At the turn I waited for the tail wind to kick in but I feared that I was cooked from the struggle of the head wind. But then, just as I felt pooped, I tried to find another sprocket on the back and it was already in the 11 tooth! Yep, the entire return 5 miles was done in the 11 tooth! It must have been 30 mph + all the way back. In fact I could have done with a bigger chain ring as I was spinning too fast in the 11 tooth sometimes. It turns out that Jase did the same. That just shows how strong the wind was. As normal, though, the tail wind never really evens out the headwind and the time for me was 23:00 (though I made it 22:59!). Jase was very close at 23:11! But surely the youngster should be beating me by a huge margin by now? C'mon Jase blitz me! To be fare, he has only just started his peaking training so more speed to come, I am sure.

The event was split into 2 races because of the huge entry - faster riders and slower riders. Me and Jase could only get into the slower riders race. With 80 riders just in our race, the event was quite big. Good news! I finished 4th and Jase finished 6th! That earned me £30! Blimey! That was the first time that I have ever won cash! This cycling stuff is ok!

We actually rode quite a bit faster than many of the faster riders. That shows just how windy it was. How long can we hide in the slower riders cat I wonder!

Anyway. Hope all you bloggers are training well and healthy!

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Well done Old Man, you put the Young Pup in his place!

Good rides from both of you on a difficult day (by the sounds of it). Next challenge at Brize? Will Jase be able to make it 1-1 there?

We shall know soon enough.

Jason Walkley said...

Unfortunately im not racing the sprint series this year as im concentrating on LD..... however a training ride may be needed onm that day...LOL