Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 24 November 2008

Weather Blues!

Wow! The weather was so bad yesterday - long ride day. I peered out of the window at 0730 and there was a thin covering of snow and a brisk wind blowing. Undeterred, I prepared for my 3 mile spin into St Ives to meet the rest of the St Ives CC members. I have joined the club now and can call my new cycling buddies team members! The weather didn't improve much as I gingerly rode onto the rather slippery roads. The snow did stop. However, sleet and rain soon replaced the snow. The wind was very icy and I was numb before I arrived at the meeting point!

I recharged my enthusiasm by thinking of how many competitors may skip training due to the weather. Off we set. I can honestly say that the conditions were the worst that I have ridden in. There was a coffee stop planned at 33 miles but it seemed to be taking an age to get there - it was slow going! We started off as a group of 14. We were down to 6 by the time we stopped at the Little Chef (they do a nice cappuccino.....but any hot drink would have tased great!). The other guys turned round way before the stop, and that left 6 of us to crawl into the Little Chef to cry as our hands thawed out - that was painful. My hands were so cold I could not change gear; even breaking became difficult. After the stop the weather did improve and the sun even came out! Even so, I was tired and the 65 miles in total seemed far harder than the 73 of the previous week. Does anyone make a glove for cycling that is actually half water proof and keep your hands warm! I bought some dhb gloves for £16 and they are no better than my Aldi gloves that cost me £2.50!

Well that was 2 paragraphs of whinging! No sympathy required, as it was all self inflicted - that's what I tell Julie and she happily agrees with me!

Friday's training was ok(ish). My legs were still too sore from the conditioning session I did on Wdnesday to complete a decent 2 x 20 min turbo session. So I selected the same Wattage of 270W and completed 2 min effort and 1 min recovery continuous. After that I did 3 x 1 mile in cold and windy conditions. I eased into these and opened up on the last rep - 6:08, 6:00, 5:41.

Now that I seem to be struggling to recover within the limitations of a single week, I am discarding the number 7 from my training week! No more squeezing everything into a week. I will now complete the scheduled workout when I feel that I am completely rested. This should avoid this fatigue that I have started to wake up to!


Later bloggers.

2 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

Total respect for going out in those conditions Sags, unfortunately I was faced with far worse. We had about 5" of snow on the ground with constant snow and hail showers all day. I had the challenge of driving to the top of the north yorks moors in it on Saturday for a night shift and then on Sunday it took 2 hours 10 mins to get home it was that bad. To put it into prospective I can cycle home in 1hr 48!!!

Sags said...

Sounds very yuk dude! get the mountain bike out and have some fun in the snow? 2 hours of your time to get back from work is not good. Take the turbo into work and stay there!