Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 17 November 2008

Eureka Moments

Ever heard of Eureka moments? It's that moment when things come together and suddenly 'click'! At my Swimshack session today I had my very first Eureka moment - way to go! The session started by checking previous drills and balance work. I had brought in a couple of bad habits that were soon rectified but boy did mastering these tweaks make a difference! That wasn't the Eureka moment though. That came as I moved onto skating drills - this is the position shown in the water on my previous post. It's not as easy as it looks; maintaining balance is the key. The next move is to rotate and switch to the opposite side by utilising your core (not by pulling through with a swim stroke). The arm that is hanging out in front does stroke as per a normal swim action but it does so gently, not as an anchor to pull the body. Sounds weird eh?! However, it is the first step to bringing a new swim stroke. It felt smooth and balanced and I have so many focus points that I can't list them here! Five more months and I am much more confident that I will make improvements over a 1500m swim.


Yesterday I rode with St Ives CC again and covered 72 miles. The ride out was quite sedate and I found it difficult to keep warm. On the return leg a few guys were keen to liven things up a bit. Initially, I let them go, not wanting to ride to hard myself. After a while I decided to test the legs but be mindful of not going mad. I was able to cruise the hills whilst the guys around me were blowing rather more vigorously! This is good and shows that I am on track. What I need to do is not push myself too hard and hold back sufficiently so as to ensure recovery takes place. I am really enjoying these rides, despite the bad weather recently!
Suppose I had better get some running done! I sometimes wish there were 28 hours in a day and 10 days in a week!
On a different topic, I was speaking to a Christian friend of mine, David, who had visited my Blog. He is interested in ultra racing. The concept of ultra racing is totally crazy to me; however, it is fascinating to see what these guys go through. David recounted the fact that his son believes that running should be barefoot! Respect! I can't climb out of the bath without my feet hurting! Suffering during ultra racing seems to be at opposite ends of the body - feet and mentally! I would like to hear more about ultra racing and I know that Phil McNeil and Russ Watson have moved in this direction. Anyone out there happy to recount their experiences? I suppose Ironman Triathlon counts as ultra racing in my book!!
Must go - too many things to do!!

No comments: