Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 21 October 2008

Over Training or Moving to a Higher Level?


It has been said to me that I may be over training, especially for this time of year. So where do we draw the line at training hard and training to destruction? I admit that I am training hard. However, this winter is a bit of an experiment. I am taking more rest between the hard sessions and trying to eliminate junk sessions. The idea is that I break through to a higher (faster) level next year.


For me, I love the feeling of hurting myself. But I must hurt myself in a constructive way! For example, my conditioning sessions see my weights increase but the turbo tabata intervals will remain at the same effort until January. I suppose that the tabata intervals are not truly tabata intervals because I aim to maintain 480W at the moment. I would consider true tabata intervals to give me a decreasing power output as I train absolutely flat out. It is this absolute flat out effort that will wait until next spring. My recent rides with St Ives CC have been quite intense but until I get dropped I do not consider it too hard! Last Sunday we were down to 5 riders. We rode for the last 1 hour 50 mins going through and off; all of us too breathless to chat - it was silent; none of us willing to show weakness and ask for the pace to ease off! I suppose I consider that I have not found my absolute flat out effort level! At my age I need to do things differently. if I enjoy it, then that is sufficient for me. If I get faster, then game on!


Back to the gym tomorrow and also a swim drill session. Today was a rest day ..........again! I am weak!

1 comment:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

We only worry because we care! :-)
Train smart my friend.