Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 28 June 2011

National Middle Distance Champs Soon!

Tick tock. Countdown to The Cowman national Middle Distance Champs taking place on Sunday 3 July. So I am in my taper week. I have had 4 BIG weeks of training and feel in good shape. If this taper thing works and I don’t have any unforeseen hiccups I am hoping for a top 5 finish. Secretly, I want a top 3 finish but it all depends on who turns up!

The bike course looks slightly lumpy and at 92k slightly long. This is good. The run is 4 laps, which, again, is good as I like to wind the run up on a lapped course.

I have been doing plenty of long sessions, particularly bike/run sessions. Last Sunday was THE warm day of the summer and I was caught in the intense heat doing a 60 mile IM Pace bike followed by a 12 mile run. It got seriously hot, which I like. But I did suffer with some tummy issues on the run and had to visit the bush 3 times. I wasn’t getting slower but the tummy was not right. Not sure if this is the heat or the nutrition protocol that I was testing for Ironman. I am thinking that the gels were upsetting me and and I need to switch to Isotonic High 5 gels. On the bike I was also sipping on High 5 Extreme (not a great deal was consumed but I think that this is potent stuff). I was sipping water every 5 mins (on a timing bleep) and this seemed to keep me well hydrated. Anyway, let’s see how the race goes on Sunday. I will use the same gels and water but ditch the Extreme. I alternate gels with half a Trek bar feeding every 25 mins. Then switch to gels only on the run.

After The Cowman I have 2 months before the IM Distance race in Holland. Eeeeek! Really looking forward to this race but my focus on making a time is worrying me! Trying to focus purely on the nutrition plan and let the finishing time look after itself!

Race report after Sunday to follow!

Will it be a happy race report:



Or a angry race report!

2 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

I use the iso gels from high 5 mate I rarely use any of the normal ones and use 4:1 for the drink. Good luck at the weekend

Unknown said...

get that nutrition plan nailed down mate, i will pop up on sunday to watch... especially seeing as i wont be training!
good luck for a podium finish and 1st National Champ medal!