Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 July 2011

Cowman National Middle Distance Triathlon Champs - National Champ!!!!!! Surreal!!!

Race report: A bit wordy but hopefully pics to follow!
This race was always an A Race for me and Charles had advised a 1 week taper as I had a broken week of training 2 weeks out (family stuff). I was confident that I was fit and I had just completed 4 big weeks of training. Most importantly, however, I was healthy!!

The day before the race I travelled down to the venue with my daughters. My wife was going to come too but couldn't make it. As it turned out though she arrive post race for the presentation and we had a lovely few moments together before my daughters arrived demanding food

We camped at the venue and it was very pleasant too. The weather forecast was good and hot weather was the order of the day - just how I like it! Race morning and the lake was steaming as the sun moved higher The swim was a basic 2 waves: under 45 wave 1, over 45 wave 2. So I started in the oldie wave! Although it was a big wave, I seemed to be in a nice bubble and didn't get battered at all. My sighting was better and I felt smooth. The first lap seemed to whizz by and before long I was heading for the exit, having drafted a guy for some time. I wanted to try and swim away from him as I felt it was too slow. But I was mindful of the drafting benefits and decided to stay where I was conserving energy.



I made it around 32:30 out the water and feeling good. Once onto the bike I found it difficult to find a rhythm but I suppose it was the same for everyone as the twists and turns through the town were breaking up any speed. The first 3 or 4 miles were a steady climb and then there was a mix of flat fast parts and false flats. There was one steep hill but that was not terribly long. So 2 laps of this and then one shorter lap that had a drag up hill that sapped the legs a bit! I never really felt comfortable on the forst lap but the second lap felt much better and I got into the groove. On the first lap 2 guys from my age group past me early on (we were marked up on the calf so we knew who was in which Age Group). I thought about trying to tag along at a distance but they drifted away, going just that too fast for my liking - I didn't want to blow up so early on into the bike leg. Maybe I could catch them later? Well Inever saw them on the bike route again! I was not happy that they had slipped away. So I knew I was in 3rd place at best. But more likely further down the field as the fast swimmers must be up ahead also. I have not checked the splits of everyone yet so I have no idea how many guys were ahead. I felt good on the third small lap and entered T2 feeling ready to rip up the run! Nobody else had passed me on the bike.

A note here. There were a couple of bad crashes. One guy seemed to have gone through the back of a stationary car window! Hope he is ok.

The sun was shining and the run legs were there from the off. The run was a 4 lap loop and had one section through a village that was slightly up hill. I am sure the incline got steeper each lap! Part of the run was on dirt tracks but I actually like this. I kept saying to myself "13 miles is a long way so hold back on the first lap!" But I was passing people at an alarmingly fast rate. I was obviously catching people from the first wave and there was some hurting going on out there! The first lap clipped by fine and I overtook the lead female shortly into the 2nd lap. My feeding plan seemed to be working. On the bike I had alternated caffeine gels and Trek Bar (half a bar) every 25 mins. Then drink was just water taken as 2 sips every 7 minutes (on my countdown bleeper). On the run I switched to Isotonic gels (one every lap) and a standing still full cup of water once a lap. I was feeling good and upped the pace slightly on he second lap. My breathing was fine but the legs were feeling it now. But this would be the case no matter how fast I was going. I just figured, if I am good aerobically, I can deal with any amount of pain in the legs! Onto the third lap and this was turbo time. I really kicked in the pace on this lap, thinking that I had to gain time on this loop and then go ballistic on the last lap Breathing was much more laboured but sustainable. I was passing people rapidly now but where were the 2 guys that had passed me on the bike?

As I started my 4th lap my girls were there cheering and that was very good to see. I was really striding out now and as I entered the village for the last time I saw the yellow vest of one of the cyclists that had passed me! He was struggling and I picked up the pace again as I passed him. I heard him grumble as he obviously recognised me too! No mercy though an I pushed on in search of the other guy! But I never saw him He was dressed in black and blended in with everyone else. Only one person had passed me and they were a relay team. So I knew I had not lost places. But how many had I passed? I entered the last mile and just pushed on as hard as could, passing more and more people from the previous wave I think as they were struggling alot.

I rounded the finishing bend, almost crashing into the barriers! Into the stragight and the comentator was reading out my name. . . . . he had real time electronic timing on a hand gadget. . . . . . this made for instant positioning etc. . . . . . . As I crossed the line he said. . . . . "that was Mark Saggers. . . . but the position has not come up on my screen. . . . " I was confused because the finish line girls had put a finishing ribbon across the line for me? I thought they were just doing that for everyone?

I collapsed in a heap. I was absolutely spent Just the way it should be! After a few mins Mr Yellow vest man came over and shook my hand. he was joined by Mr Black Vest man and they both reckoned that I had won and that I had passed them both within the last 2 miles of the run at such a pace that they hardly had time to think about tagging along!!

I moved over to the timing screen and there it was: Mark Saggers. Cat I. Cat Position 1st. 4:32:56. Fatigue can play tricks on the body and I was quite emotional at seeing the result. It is a first National Champs for me and something I never dreamed would happen. To say that I am happy is an understatement

I like to think that the win is a team effort though. 'I' didn't win. 'We' won. Thanks to Charles. The guy who just keeps giving. You are simply the best.

Official Race Stats

Swim: 32:55
Bike: 2:32:06
Run: 1:25:03
Overall: 4:32:56

get in!!!!

6 comments:

Cavegirl said...

Well done you - only a select few make it to the club - welcome - LOL!

Now retire, please :-)

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

You the CHAMP!

Daz Sharpe said...

Excellent buddy you had to go one better didn't you lol! Top result CHAMP :-)

Mal Rose said...

You d' man! Well done mate, well deserved!

The_Dude said...

Well Done Sags !!! I'm amazed by your result and your race report.

Turbo Man said...

Not much else to say buddy, but:

CONGRATULATIONS! :-)

You've worked extremely hard for this over the years so make sure you enjoy it.