Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 23 March 2009

Training Weak. . .I Mean Week?



Another week has slipped by and, with ‘stuff’ going on at home and my intention of bagging another big training week, it’s been a hectic one.

Training for last week looked like this:

Monday: Cycle to pool, swim, cycle back. 1 hour steady run.

Tuesday: Swim. 1:05 EZ Spin and core work.

Wednesday: Swim. Bike/Run efforts as 7 x 1 mile on TT bike followed by 21 x 200m on running track.

Thursday: Cycle to pool, swim, cycle back. 55 min steady run.

Friday: Rest (away with work).

Saturday: 2.5 hour bike with 2 x longish tempo efforts. Run off bike 5 miles at 6:25 miling.

Sunday: Cycle to pool, swim, cycle back.

It doesn’t look that much but with work and home stuff going on, the week was draining. Saturday’s ride with Mick really felt laboured. The previous week, I felt strong but this week was torture. I still tried to do the tempo efforts but the legs were just not there. I thought about binning the 5 mile run off the bike but I knew that I would not be happy having stacked a training session! As it turned out, even though the legs felt terrible, I still maintained a 6:25 per mile average. Mick (Turbo Man) the full time cyclist was going well and I am sure he was laughing as I suffered!

I have upped the swimming now as I need to get some sort of swim fitness. It is coming slowly and I have tagged along with Nige Porter for some sessions now. He is a decent swimmer and is dragging me along to complete proper sessions. The trick is to keep my new stroke and build some speed – not an easy task! Today, I managed to complete 2 sets of 5 x 100 on 2 mins, with 90 sec between the sets. I managed between 1:29 and 1:31 for the first set. I then purposely reduced the effort to try and keep the stroke technique. The times dropped, but not as much as I thought they would and the second set was also consistent between 1:30 and 1:33. This is actually not a bad session for me (timewise) though the effort was quite high. If I can build on these times I may just see some improvements in the swim this year after all.

I have been searching around for a possible new bike. . . . . for some point in the future – like maybe 10 years away! Currently, in no particular order, options would be:

Cervelo P3

Isaac Aerotec


Cannondale Slice

Dream on!

3 comments:

Lonsy said...

You've inspired me, I'm off to the Cervelo shop...

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

That Cannondale looks sweet! Isn't that what Chrissie is riding this year?

Turbo Man said...

I do believe it is Young Frank. I've been a fan of that frame for a while now; looks lovely. Shame the 105 specced model has increased in price by £500 this year!