Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 30 March 2009

Someone Else's Legs!

With one week until the National Duathlon Championships, things are not looking too bad considering occurrences outside of training! If I can stay healthy, then it may be a decent race. That said, CJ, my youngest, is suffering with a stomach bug. Having been the target for some projectile vomiting I am hoping that I will not contract the bug!

Training has been ok the past week. A few easy days seem to have done the trick. After the sad showing during the previous weekend’s ride with Turbo man, I took a few very easy days. On Thursday I did a short and sharp turbo session followed by 6 x 400m run efforts with 1 min recovery. The turbo session was most enjoyable and had me dipping in and out of anaerobic land:

Warm up
3 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
5 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
7 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
9 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
7 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
5 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
3 x 15 sec hard/15 sec spin
1 min spin
2 min @ 350W

This is a good session and I monitored my power output. And stayed constant at 400W up to the set of 9 and then 420W to the end. The 2 min @350W seemed like spinning after the short and sharp stuff.

Off the bike, the 6 x 400m went ok too, though the legs were wobbly:

1:26, 1:19, 1:16, 1:19, 1:16, 1:12

These times are quicker than previous efforts so the running may be coming together.

After another 2 easy days I rode with Turbo Man for the last time before he moves to Plymouth . . . Sniff. . . Turbo Man has been a great training partner (on the bike at least! Yes, we have done the odd run together too!). We did 3 hours and I needed some longer efforts. I was on the TT bike, complete with disc and deep rim front so turbo on his road set up was at a disadvantage from the start. He also decided to put someone else’s legs on this Sunday . . .



. . . and he was finding it tough going. I also seemed to have put someone else’s legs on but I was lucky in that they were a good pair! I felt strong and enjoyed the efforts. Off the bike I did the same 5 miles hard run with yet more wobbly legs. This week I averaged 6:12 per mile, as opposed to 6:25 per mile the previous week.

Swimming has also been on the up. I continue to build the swim fitness and I have joined speedy Nige Porter again with some nice sessions. This morning we did 2 x 200, 4 x 100, 8 x 50 all off the minute mark as the main set. I found it tough and did not stay with Nige but I felt smoother and coped better with the pace. 200s were 3:05 and 3:08. 100s between 1:33 – 1:34. 50s between 43 – 44sec. Again, not great times but not bad for me after the winter’s technique work.
Apologies for the lack of pics lately. I still have problems with my computer. Train well bloggers and best wishes to Mat Stephenson, Daz Sharpe and Pete Norris, who are competing in Ironman South Africa on 5 April. Also, Jackie Wren, Pete Russell and myself compete at Milton Keynes at the National age Group Duathlon Champs on 5 April – Let’s pray for decent conditions.

1 comment:

Turbo Man said...

Very witty, not sure whose legs I had but I want the pair you had next time.