Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 6 March 2009

Training to Race - Ouch!

After the heavy training last week I decided to take it easy this week. As I commenced my swim session on Monday morning, I could tell I was fatigued. I opted for an easy spin on the TT bike on Tuesday. I had not ridden my race bike since the World long Course Champs last August. Also, I had made some changes to the front end in an attempt to become more aero. Oh dear! What a mess! I felt terrible. I struggled to hold my position for half a mile! How on earth did I ride 120k in an aero tuck in Holland?! The changes that I had made obviously did not agree with me. I have always been able to hop on my bike and go. It was disturbing to say the least, as I am not a happy bunny when I am not ‘at one’ with my bike!

So what had I changed? I had lowered the elbow pads and also made them narrower. Pictures from last year showed that I had a gaping hole that sucked in air and held me back! The sun was shining today so, after making some adjustments to my bike, I commenced a brick session on the road – I normally do a turbo session but I was concerned about not being able to ride my race bike. I warmed up and then did 5 x 1 mile efforts with 1 min recovery on the notorious ‘mad mile’ straight road that crosses the front of RAF Wyton. The efforts felt so different on the road, when compared with turbo efforts. I had set my Garmin to target 25mph for each effort. The wind was not favourable in one direction, which made the going tough. Anyway, these were the times I hit:

2:27 (24.5mph average)
2:18 (26.1mph average)
2:28 (24.2mph average)
2:18 (26.1mph average)
2:29 (24.1mph average)

I found these short efforts hard and I played around with my cadence on the final effort. You can tell when the wind was in my face! My position felt better but I need to make further, minor adjustments. After these efforts I slipped my trainers on and started a run interval session of 8 x 400m with 1 min recovery. I wanted 6 min mile pace but my legs were shot to start with. However, they did start to work better after the first few reps. I guess it shows that if you start off steady, then the legs will get into the groove. These are the times I hit, again, on the ‘mad mile’:

1:36 (6:29 pace)
1:32 (6:10 pace)
1:26 (5:49 pace)
1:24 (5:38 pace)
1:24 (5:38 pace)
1:24 (5:38 pace)
1:26 (5:48 pace – includes a stop coming through the main gate!)
1:20 (5:24 pace)

I suppose I should have stuck to the aim of 6 min mile pace and then gradually get faster as I complete this session in the coming months. But, as normal, it is a case of head down and go! It is a hard session and I know that I have done it now. In fact I have a slight tweak in my calf as a result. The session also reminds me that it is essential to replicate racing in my training. The efforts outside were very different to the turbo induced pain. At one point, I had a thought that if I was training for long course triathlon, I wouldn’t have to push so hard for speed – nah, that is just an easy way out! And we can’t be taking the easy path now. . .

1 comment:

Mal Rose said...

Sags, you seem to be flying buddy!!
I like the look of that bike interval sesh followed by run intervals...looks painful...I'm gonna try that one!
Get some ice on that calf!!