Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Thursday 12 March 2009

Bike Position Stuff - Again!

I know, I know, I am always going on about bike position! It's just that for triathlon and time trialing, bike position is so important. I missed breaking the hour for 25 miles by 7 seconds last year; maybe a more aero position will give me those 8 seconds!

Anyway, if you have read this blog recently , you will know that I changed my aero bar extensions, as well as lowering and narrowing my elbow pads. I have tried out the new position over a 3 hour ride and all seems ok. I don't think that there is a loss of power and the position doesn't feel too uncomfortable. . . Well, time trialing is never going to be comfortable!

The pics below show the difference in position from last year to now. The first pic was taken in Holland at the World Long Course Triathlon Champs in Holland.


The second, below, was the other night on my turbo.


I think the second pic clearly shows a more aerodynamic position. A great tip relating to the aero helmet is to get on your tri-bars and tilt your helmet back until you feel it on your upper back. When this happens, you will be aero. There is a large gap at the back of my helmet in the Holland pic - not good! Any increase in performance from a change in position is free speed in my book! I know that I am covering short distance races this year and i won't be on the aero bars for 120k like I was in Holland! However, I did all my racing last year in the position at the top pic. in theory, I should be faster. . . But then I am another year older and clearly massively over weight 8-)

Regarding training this week, I too a couple of easy days after Sunday. I have , however, been hitting the swimming in a big way. Today, I felt a glimmer of full stroke clicking into place - just a glimmer mind you! If I can build on that I may just save my swimming for this year, but the H2O still feels like a big struggle to me.

On Wednesday I did a hard bike run session. I did a 20 mile loop on the race bike that incorporated 5 x 6 min efforts at pretty much full on pace. Off the bike, I went straight into 3 x 1 mile run efforts with 90 sec recovery. The bike efforts had left my legs shot to bits and I was slightly wary of folding on the run efforts. I set the Garmin for 6:10 per mile as the target. As I set off, I felt like a wobbly jelly fish! No matter how many times I run off the bike, it never feels easier. That said, I think the practice makes you run faster with the same amount of pain! First mile done in 6:06. I was shocked as I had thought I was on for 6:30 at best. The second mile felt better. This is often the case in a triathlon race - the legs do loosen up and it well worth telling yourself this when you feel rubbish as you start to run off the bike. I hit 5:48 for the second rep. However, the third rep would be the hardest as there is a substantial hill to negotiate. I have never gone faster than 6:18 when doing this third rep. I pretty much killed myself and managed to hit 6:03. Initially I was pleased with this. But, as ever, I parked that performance and chastised myself for not dipping under 6 mins!

Today has been easy swim and easy bike. The legs feel better from the easy spinning but I have a hunger that cannot be satiated. . . Jaffa Cakes. . . Jaffa Cakes. . . Mmmmmmmm

3 comments:

Turbo Man said...

That picture makes me laugh - the black bike in the dark garage looks like you're sitting in mid-air! Well it does if you squint your eyes a bit or are old like me!

There's only one sure fire way to tell buddy, and that's when the TT season starts. And then you won't know for sure whether it was your new position or the training you have done that has made the difference. Ooh, don't put doubt in the mind of The Sagster or he will just dash out and do more training!!!

Daz Sharpe said...

That looks a lot better in the latest picture mate, your going to be flying this year I think, not just the position change but your methodical training routine seems really good, wish I was organised enough to plan my training instead of it all being ad-hoc

Sags said...

Methodical training routine! You having a laugh mate! I think at least 2 days ahead! Sort of make it up as i go along!