Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 January 2009

Training Update

The days seem to be going quickly at the moment. Life is so full with one thing or another and there are quite a few missed training sessions. That said, when I do train, I make the sessions count! Yesterday was the weekly St Ives CC ride. I covered about 60 miles but as I had missed my run session the day before I decided to forgo the usual coffee stop. The rest of the riders piled into the coffee shop in Oundle for various snacks on drinks whilst I whipped my trainers out of my back pockets and completed some 800m efforts with 1 min recovery. I finished just in time to rejoin the others as they set off for home. I felt quite perky and put in some big efforts on the bike too. My club mates graciously allowed me to stay on the front for the last 10 or 12 miles! It was an enjoyable ride and shows that my bike legs are ok.

I am still doing strength sessions in the gym and am up to 70kg for my 20 rep squats. This is beyond my body weight and things are getting hard! I am unable to hold he same power on the tabata intervals after the squats now; I am hoping that this is just because the squats are heavier and so the legs are more fatigued. Last season I binned the strength work around January. This year I intend to carry it through much longer.

I do feel that my running is taking a back seat this winter, especially as I did loads of running last year to prepare for the London Marathon. Oh well, there is not enough hours in the day to fit everything in!

My swim technique drills are going very well. However, I still have doubts whether I can turn the drill technique into a changed full swim stroke - time will tell!

I have been tinkering with my bikes too and attempted a front wheel hub bearing clean up and adjustment. All seemed ok and I ventured out with the club on New Years' Day for a 60 miler. After the coffee stop my wheel started to seize up! It seems that I had not got the adjustment quite right. the result was a very hard 25 miles back home. It was like riding a 25 mile hill simulation. . . Grinding away at low cadence. I have also discovered that my race bike has 10 speed components on it - after 2 years of riding 9 speed!! I shall now install a 10 speed cassette with a 11/25 spread. This should negate the need to install a 55 tooth front chain ring!

Well that's enough idle chat. I am home alone with my daughters and ready for bed! Look forward to hearing the training exploits of everyone in blog land. . . .

No comments: