Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 23 January 2009

Comfortably Uncomfortable - Nice Phrase!

After a couple of easy days following my strength session on Monday, today I completed my normal bike/run session. It was long intervals this week and the aim was 2 x 15 mins at 270W on the turbo, followed by 3 x 1 mile run with 90 sec recoveries on the road. These sessions are always hard and, as the power gradually rises, they are getting harder! As a reminder to you bloggers, my aim for the race season is 2 x 20 mins at 305W and 4 - 6 x 6 mins at 350W. I sometimes wonder how I will ever get near those levels, but to improve I must try! Interestingly, there is a training article in Cycling Weekly today that is almost identical to the session that I did today (well, minus the run of course!). There was a great phrase used - 'the session should be comfortably uncomfortable..' What a nice explanation that is! What exactly is comfortably uncomfortable?!!

Anyway, I hit my target today on the turbo. . . feeling comfortably uncomfortable, of course! I then staggered into my trainers and went straight into the first mile effort on the road. I remained 'comfortably uncomfortable' as I hobbled along! My aim for the mile efforts was 6:20 for each rep, though I really knew that I would be faster. First rep: 6:07. Second rep:5:49 (a 400m downhill stretch helped!). the third rep included a 700m uphill at the end and I slipped to 6:27. I use a Garmin Forerunner to measure these reps and, as I crested the hill (feeling decidedly uncomfortably uncomfortable!), I desperately tried to make up the lost time before the mile was completed. As the time depicts, I did not make it under 6:20. However, the route that I ran lends itself to a challenge: run the first 2 reps quick enough to get sufficiently along the route to make it up the hill with sufficient time to make up time to get under 6:20 for the last mile rep. Does that make sense? It will be fun and a test to see if my running improves.

The weekend approaches and I am getting revved up for the Sunday club ride. . . I must ride easy. . . I must ride easy. . . I must ride easy. . . I may ride easy. . . I may ride easy. . . I may ride hard. . . I may ride hard. . . I will ride hard. . . I will ride hard. . . Ah! Too late! I am riding hard!

1 comment:

Turbo Man said...

Comfortably Uncomfortable - when your legs and your lungs hurt equally!