Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 28 January 2023

Track Session #1

 First track session in a good while completed. 




Happy times for me; always loved track training as it takes me back to my youth, training in a group on Tuesday evenings with Leicester Coritanians AC. There were some seriously good runners back then and I was very much towards the back of the pack - in terms of speed and talent! But not sure any of them are still active now. Anyway, as stated in earlier posts, after 6 months of focused strength training in the gym, I wanted to start the process of transitioning to specific run speed to make use of my strength and conditioning gains. I must say, my expectations are high as I feel so much stronger. Hope I’m not disappointed. 

The session went well and my plan to not go full gas was maintained. I did open up a bit on rep 3 of 6 to stretch the legs out and felt smooth and strong. The temptation to maintain that effort was there but I eased back into a more relaxed effort for the remaining reps. The session was 6 x 800m with 3 min RI static/jog, which was perfect for my first session. In my head I had a plan to maintain 3:45 per/k pace for all reps. But I actually busted that pace and felt ok, even as a relaxed effort. Pace for reps was:

3:42, 3:37, 3:28, 3:37, 3:42, 3:43. 

Very happy with this session. The legs did feel it towards the end so glad I didn’t go crazy. I will up the intensity gradually as I become more conditioned to this speedy type running. The signs are good that I can run well this year. Not sure about putting times targets out there but I do like the numbers game. I would love to hit a sub-18 min 5k. 17:59 would do! Conditions and course would need to be right; it’s a stretch target. I have the Congleton 10k in a couple of weeks. I’ll run that at tempo and see how close to sub-40 min I get. 

Later tumbleweeds 

No comments: