Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 14 July 2014

Otlaw Triathlon Bike Tester 100 Mile

One aspect that concerned me for race day at the Outlaw is the fact that I have not ridden further than 75 miles in training this year - and that was back in March. Whilst I have done lots of 3 hour rides at pace and plenty of 1 - 2 hour sessions at specific effort levels, I know from experience that 100 miles can feel very different. So I entered a local 100 mile time time trial to test pacing and nutrition, as well as bike position and a short transition run to see how I would feel. The plan was to ride at IM effort, not TT effort, though I do not really know what a 100 mile TT effort would be! I think you need to learn the distance. I pretty much stuck to my plan, though conditions were awful. The rain fell and the wind picked up as the morning progressed. I finished in 4:34:30, completing a perfect matching 50 mile split each half! So a shade under 22mph average equates to around a 5:07 IM bike split. To be honest though, I think I pushed too hard into the wind. This is something I need to be aware of on race day. If maintaining an even effort means slowing down, then slow down!! For the first time ever I envied those guys riding to a set power level.I can really see the benefit of using power over long distance races, where efficiency on the bike ensures a decent run - well, at least gives you a fighting chance of not blowing up. I tried to ride just below my half IM effort level but over 100+ miles, I think you need to ride an even further reduced effort. So all being well with conditions and the course at the Outlaw supposedly quite conducive to fast riding, I need to focus on slowing down more and aiming for a bike time between 5:15 - 5:20. If I can bag a swim around 1:08 then I have a shot at around 10 hours overall. Anyway, my legs were tired towards the end of this 100 but no matter what speed or effort you commit to a 100 mile ride will leave you tired. Nutrition worked well and I was ready to run. I just completed 3 miles and hit target pace of 7:49 per mile. With a reduced effort on the bike I may even be able to maintain that pace! We will see! I highly recommend this session as a pre Ironman essential. It tests bike position, nutrition and ability to run off after 4+ hours in an aero tuck.

No comments: