Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 8 July 2014

3 Weeks Countdown

Yes it's 3 weeks until the Outlaw Ironman. Most of my Blog entries have been about build up races. But what about the overall training? Now that the hard work is completed and there is nothing that I can do to make any difference to performance by adding extra training - though I can mess things up - I am focussing on some key sessions hit fresh. Last Sunday was my longest run at 18 miles, completed as easy out for 9 miles and harder return. This was meant to help me get a mind set of starting very easy on the marathon come race day. All my previous long runs have been a real slow plot, mostly due to my being tired before starting. Although I had raced on Wed and trained through since, I felt quite fresh for this run and the first 9 miles was a very easy 8:05 per mile average. I came back averaging 7:45 but it felt a lot harder. There is a lesson for be had from that!!. So it is easy stuff (or no long draining session s) until Sunday when I ride my first 100 mile TT. I am going to test nutrition and focus on holding back for 80 miles! The problem here is that no matter what speed you ride or effort you expel you're going to be tired at 80 miles! This session may just scare me! Over the last 6 months I have trained well but it has all been made up as I go along day by day. My life is too hectic to have a detailed plane. Overall the build months have gone well with Feb to May each building B-) volume. I do worry that I have not done enough focussed very long rides or runs but I wanted to ensure that I remained healthy. I used short distance races for speed work and actually did ok as far as performance goes. Swimming has felt good lately but I still have not really hit mega sessions. A 56:33 25 mile bike TT proves that I have sufficient speed on 2 wheels and my run split at the Grafman Half IM proves I am running well (1:26:10). All that remains is to stay healthy and get pacing and nutrition right on race day - probably the most difficult task yet! Conditions will come into play for me also. I thrive on hot weather and struggle in the wet and cold weather. Maybe we'll get a fine sunny day on 27 July 8-)

No comments: