Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 2 May 2014

The Extras Required for Racing Long

Anyone who has raced longer than Standard Distance Triathlon will tell you that the logistics of sorting out what you need to deliver your body to the finish line are quite tricky.What hydration system will you use? How will you carry nutrition and spares? What race clothing is needed? The list is endless and everyone has their preference for the different aspects of racing long. As my main goals of the season get nearer I am planning in more detail. So I aim to review and document my plans etc here in this Blog. Firstly then, race trainers. Since RAF Tri lost the Saucony trainer deal a couple o years ago I have been in limbo with regards to running shoes. I ended up buying the best deal of any make that I could find. Not the best way to select trainers. Funnily enough, I have d plenty of injuries too - could it be trainer issues? Anyway, marathon man and RAF runner Iain Baily recommended New Balance 890v3. My previous success with ladies trainers (narrow feet me!) had me searching further. In the end I took the oil plunge and paid more than I have for years for a pair of these: These are the W1080v3. Verdict? Brilliant! At 220gms they are so light; but very well cushioned. They remind me of my Nike racers that I used back in the 80s. Very hap happy with these and I will race all events in these. I wore them in the last couple of duathlons and felt much better than when I raced the Dambuster Duathlon back in March. Looking at hydration systems - posh term for water bottle - I opted for the Xlab torpedo shown below: I had an old Profile dual compartment bottle that has seen better days. It was also clunky and rattled - cyclists hate rattles! So what of the Xlab system? It's good; far better than the profile bottle. The plate that you use to attach the cage to the bars uses velcro straps and looks too flimsy at first. But it is rock solid and aerotastic! The straw folds down when not in use and the bite valve to drink is good - no cut lips. Training this week has been good, with another 16 hour week. Key sessions have been 20 x 800m with 1 min RI and today`s focussed TT bike session with transition run. Tired now but an easy week coming up with Brize Sprint Tri as fun. No expectation for this race - just a speed session.

No comments: