Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 20 May 2011

The Things We Do to Ride . . . .

. . . our bike! (see TT blurb below).

Hello blogland. Since the Brize Norton Triathlon I have been trying to up my endurance training – see previous post! Actually, I was upping the endurance training the week prior to Brize. Hence I have managed to string together some big training weeks and also throw in some longer effort sessions. I did an Open 50 Mile TT last Sunday and grabbed a PB by 4 seconds! I was expecting nearer to 2:10 because of the accumulated fatigue so I was pleased with this. I managed a 20 min run off the bike at close 7:00 mile pace and it actually felt ok. I wanted to run for longer but with no feeding on the bike, I think I would have been nearing bonk land! The ride itself was sub-maximal. This was partly due to the fact that I was carrying a lot of fatigue and partly due to the fact that I wanted to negative split. I achieved the negative split with a first 25 of 1:01:34 and a second 25 of 1:00:31 (by my Garmin so slightly out with official timing). I only really went 100% over the last 4 miles and that made the ride quite enjoyable.

I carried on the week with some long endurance stuff, with 50+ miles on the bike and a swim on Monday. Then a long run Tuesday and a hard swim and evening 10 TT on Wed. I was quite flat on the Wed TT but that was to be expected. I was pleased enough to still average over 25mph. Yesterday was 25+ miles bike and a fast finish run of around an hour. Bring on Saturday for a rest day!

Here’s the weird thing about the TT on Wed evening. I was rushing to get to the start because I have to travel from work at Cambridge. When I got to the HQ I realised that I had forgotten my skinsuit! Doh! I had bike shoes and helmet but nothing to put on inbetween! In the end I blagged my daughters nice M&Co leggings and I found a gillet in my bag. The leggings had to be the most uncomfortable thing that I have ever worn on a bike. And they had nice frilly lacy bits on the bottom. The training value was there but I looked a right plonker! Never mind, I consider myself to have zero street cred anyway!

Next race for me – Speedy Beaver! Best I get my transitions sorted for this spring race! But it is only a training race . . . . . honest!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sags you always have been a trend setter, everyone will be wearing them next season!

Turbo Man said...

PMSL at that mate! Brilliant!