Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Going Looonnnggggggg!


Well, as the season is kicking off, my plan to have a 'fun' race at the Ironman Distance race (now termed PIM - psuedo ironman - by Frank)has developed into something more serious. When I say serious, I mean that I have a time target in mind. I will keep that target to myself! But the point is, the shorter fast training that I like - and normally do in abundance - has all but dried up. Now, races are my speed work. Everything else seems to have changed to building some endurance. This means counting minutes instead of miles and not being bothered about the pace.

My run training has been limited due to injury. However, now that I am healthy(ish), I have started to build a long slow run into my training. Add to that a tempo long run of an hour plus off a tempo longish bike and I have 2 core run and bike sessions that I complete.

i will use longer TTs also. In fact myself and Jase did a 50 mile TT on Sunday and I managed a 20 min run at tempo pace (7:00 min miling). The TT was completed at submaximal pace (but still hard!)with the aim of a negative split. this was achieved with a 1:01:08 first 25 miles and a 1:00:35 second 25 miles. Great training for Ironman? maybe - who knows!

my short-term focus is the Cowman Middle Distance race on 3 July. This should tell me what sort of shape I am in for a speedy effort. All other races will be training races until 27 August when i will start the PIM. Jase is doing the same PIM so it should be a great day out - though I don't think I will see him as he will be gone after the swim!

4 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Sags, you're gonna kill that PIM! Sub 9:45 on that flat course! ;-)

Mal Rose said...

If you can keep your run consistency, I reckon you will have a stormer at your 'PIM' mate!

Unknown said...

restrain is the name of the game and to negative split your 50 is good. it will be all too easy to go and smash up that bike course and go sub 5 for you, but you will pay for it in the run! know your limits, be it HR, Power or RPE and stick to it, if you can negative split your PIM bike i will be impresed and it will allow for a good run. train hard race smart young sags..

Sags said...

Thanks guys. I am finding it hard to accept that I must approach TTs and non-priority races with fatigue. Hopefully, come August it will be all worth it!