Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Be Afraid. . . . .


. . . . . . be very afraid! It is not often, if ever, that I resort to fighting talk prior to a race. I am normally quite relaxed and save my energy for the physical exertion during the race itself. However, a recent pool swim PB over 1500m of 22:44.9 (yes, the 0.9 is important!) has really got me fired up for the Vitruvian Triathlon taking place on 4 September. This sort of swim speed is light years ahead of anything that I have achieved previously. It has certainly enthused me to go for an Age Group placing at the Vit, and hopefully a race PB if the conditions are decent.

The issue remaining is can I reproduce this swim speed in open water? Historically, the answer would be no! My open water swimming is normally slower than my pool swimming. I put this down to navigation. Recently I tried a different brand of swim goggles, on the recommendation of the ever improving Paul Fullalove! What a difference! I used the Blue Seventy Vision goggles at Cambridge tri and was at the head of the pack for the entire swim. Now, of course, the Vitruvian swim waves will be bigger and likely contain faster swimmers than those at Cambridge. But my confidence is up and I aim to attack the race from the off.

History also tells me that my swimming yoyos between good (for me) and not good (for me)! So will the yoyo be on the up or down come the 4 September?

6 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Blimey, I can't believe September is only next week; where has the year gone?

I'm sure you will nail it mate; best of luck. You sound in great shape. Just make sure you rest well beforehand.

Daz Sharpe said...

OMG Sags, you must be feeling confident. Interservice Vet champ for you then? no pressure!!!!!

Cavegirl said...

"I am normally quite relaxed and save my energy for the physical exertion during the race itself."

Yeah, right! You are normally too busy getting all the reasons down why you won't do well!

Great to see a positive approach, make sure you are rested and then have a ball; don't get too carried away in the swim, you need to pace the whole race don't forget!

Yes Turbo, scarry isn't it, soon Barcelona is just next month OMG!

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

You're scaring me now!!!!

Sags said...

I can't deny, I feel in good shape. But plenty can go wrong in Tri, whether you are in shape or not! K, you are, of course correct; pacing is crucial - I am sure you remember passing me at the Vit one year as I crawled along the run!

off to find some excuses now!

Paul said...

I manage to catch up a little on the bike and you go and improve your swim times, talk about a moving target!!
Will be interesting to see how you go in the swim with those goggles mate.