Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 19 June 2009

More Biking - Still No Triathlon

Hello out there in virtual blog land. The tri season is now well and truly under way. And I am missing it all! Not happy at the moment but with my Headley Court visit next week I am starting to think that maybe I can do at least one triathlon later in the year! Right now, however, it’s all about the bike. I am doing all the club evening time trials and I have a 25 mile TT on Saturday on the E2/25 course near Newmarket. This course is a known fast ride – if the wind is low. If it is windy, the dual carriageway route can be like riding in slow motion. So, again, I will try and break the hour for a 25 mile full on ride.

I have been chatting to Dave Green from RAF Cycling. This guy is very knowledgeable and explained how I was doing things wrong when riding a TT. So, at the evening club TT on Wednesday I did things differently. It was a very windy evening so a hard ride was to come. . . but then a TT is always hard! Previously my warm up was ride 10 miles to the start, get cold after signing on, try and warm up again by riding around with a few sprints thrown in. This time I took the car and warmed up on the turbo. I did 10 – 12 mins increasing the pace spinning. Then I did 3 x 1 min at 26mph with 2 min spin recovery between each 1 min effort. After that all I had to do was ride to the start, about a mile away, and line up with 2 mins until my start time. When I set off, the goal was to ride the first 3 mins at the effort that I had been doing the 1 min efforts whilst warming up on the turbo. This, when compared to my normal starting effort, was far more relaxed. After the 3 mins, I gradually started to ramp up the effort. The wind was very strong on the way back but I felt pretty strong all the way. I finished in 23:40 – only 3 secs off my PB on that course! With most people being far slower on a windy night, I finished second, only 14 secs behind a guy that has ridden 20:50 this year on a faster course. That ride has to be one of my best this year.

So the warm up and race strategy that Dave recommended seems to be perfect! I will replicate this tomorrow at the 25 and see if I can grab another PB – weather permitting.

Best wishes to all the RAF guys racing at the Dambuster Triathlon tomorrow. I have done this race for the last 4 years and I will miss the competition, especially as the RAF will have their own start wave. I look forward to the results!
Train and race well.

1 comment:

Turbo Man said...

Nice riding buddy.

How about Barcelona in October for a return?