Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 24 June 2009

I Will Now Never Need Another Bike.....

When I got frustrated at not being able to swim more than 2 lengths in the pool at Cranwell during my Officer training, I got some swim coaching. I then became marginally better than a drowning animal when in the H2O - things have not changed that much since! Also at that time I walked into the little bike shop in Sleaford and drooled over the Giant OCR race bike hanging in the window. Now that I could drown with style I wanted to try a tri! The guy in the shop told me that once I have the Giant bike I would never need another bike. . . Oh how wrong he was! To be fare, I didn't know the difference between a crank and a stem, or Shimano and Campag, or a wheel and a jockey wheel! All this was in 2002. In 2003 I walked into Caygill Cycles in Richmond, Nth Yorks. I ended up ordering a custom build Caygill TT bike (aluminium frame with carbon forks). Surely, once I had this bike I would never need another one? Wrong! In 2006 I walked into said Caygill shop on the Saturday before the national Tri Champs, that were to be held at Wakefield on the Sunday, to buy some new shades. i walked out with a new Caygill TT bike (aluminium again with carbon forks) complete with corima disc and 50mm front Corima. I foolishly rode the bike the next day in the National Champs and had a disaster - the cranks were the wrong size, 50% of the screws and bolts were loose, the brakes were stuck on, the gears were set all wrong........ the list goes on! But surely I would never need another bike? The new Caygill has seen some action over the last 3 years and recorded some half decent bike times, including the recent 55:49 25 mile clocking.


So all is well and no further bikes required? Wrong! March 2008 came around and there was a pressing requirement for a single speed bike to train on. A Specialized Langster is acquired. A nice bike for commuting and it still gets plenty of use. Ah, the garage is full of bikes and all is well. . . . .


Fast forward to June 2009 and say hello to the Specialized Transition Pro.






This is the same bike as Westy's. It has had some tweaking and test rides recently. However, tonight the bike gets tested at the Club evening 10 mile TT. I am slightly apprehensive as I am not using my wheels of choice. I am waiting for my disc to be converted from Campag to Shimano. Tonight I will use the Mavic Cosmic Carbon SLs. The bike is simply a purrrrrring ride! It is the first carbon frame that I have ridden and it is so stiff and responsive when compared to my other bikes. Handling is better and the SRAM components are far superior to Campg in my opinion - the SRAM bar end shifters are top notch! I have fitted my San Marco Triathgel saddle and Keo carbon pedals. I will be totally happy once my disc and 85mm front wheel are fitted but the Mavic's are not a bad wheel set to keep me going.

Anyone got a larger garage available, preferably muli-storey?!

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Wow!

"Say, that's a nice bike..." (think Terminator 2).

I have said it before and now seems an appropriate time to say it again: there is a scientific formula to determine how many bikes you need - the number of bikes you currently have, plus 1.

And never say never.

Unknown said...

nice bike mate, well done in the TT as well awesome!
agree with the sram it is nice and its light
turbo i like that formula, works for me