Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 14 December 2008

Blown Legs and Mud

What was I saying in my last post about completing the turbo short intervals to assess my return to health? Oh dear! The session did not go well. When healthy a few weeks ago I completed the 4 x 6 mins efforts at 305W. I tried to do the same on Friday. The first set smarted but was ok. The second set my legs blew and i struggled to hold 270W. This is not good and I am obviously not firing on all cylinders. I attempted a 3rd set but the numbers were worse still, so I did not start the 4th set. I jumped off and went into my short run efforts that I normally do after the turbo. I took it easy to begin with but felt ok. I did 6 x 400m with 1 min recovery. The first rep was 1:28 and I gradually eased into the reps, getting faster with each one until I finished with 1:19. I am confused now; why was my bike so bad but run ok. It seems that the top end efforts are not possible at the moment.


Today I completed the St Ives CC club ride of about 65 miles. I felt ok but it was very muddy! I even managed to put a few digs in without blowing up. Oh well, mustn't get too hung up with this effort stuff - it is only December. I have my first cross country race on Wednesday in the Lincs Services League. I am not expecting much at this event as I intend to complete a full conditioning session either Monday or Tuesday.
Train well Bloggers


2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi mate
it will come, as you said not the time of year to be getting hung up on efforts! base, base, base; technique, technique, technique.
wrt turbo's what sort of sessions are you doing times and power? is the power from the TT?
cheers
train smart

Sags said...

Hi Roy. I alternate long and short turbo intervals each week. I use power on the turbo but speed would be just the same on our basic turbos! I work up to 2 x 20 mins for long and 4 x 6 mins for short. Once I hit my target for 2 x 20 mins I raise hte power slightly and drop the time; then I build up to 2 x 20 mins again. Same idea for the shorter turbo intervals. I blew on the shorter efforts last week at 305W. I may drop to 300W and build up again. And I run off the bike each session; short turbo efforts followed by short run efforts etc. hard sessions!