Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 31 May 2020

Key Sessions - First Outdoor Ride in 2 Months

I have found myself fighting to be fresh and always being tired when training. This surely cannot be good and I need to accept that at the ripe old age of 55 I cannot recover as quickly as I used to. I am sure if I read Blog posts from 10 years ago I will have said the same! My brain simply wants my body to do things that it is incapable of doing! So I have tried to simplify my training. I have 2 Key sessions - both bike/run sessions - that form the basis of training build up to September. The idea is that I hit these session fresh (relatively fresh) to expend a decent effort. The first Key Session is a short high intensity Bike/Run and the second Key Session is a longer Bike/Run Endurance Threshold session. Between these Key sessions I need to tick over very easy and include the long run session - but at a very easy HR controlled effort. Today I did the Key Session 2 Endurance Threshold. This session is one that I have used before and it is very productive and a decent confidence boost. Both the Bike and Run are completed as descending (time) efforts with 2 Min spin/jog RI. Whilst the time descends for each effort: 8 min, 6 min, 4 min, 2 min, the pace increases. So 8 min is slightly slower than race pace, 6 min at race pace, 4 min slightly faster than race pace, 2 min hard. Today I rode outdoors for the first time since mid-March and I completed the sets twice through for 38k total. I rode my Singlespeed, which provides a spot on TT position for me.
Next week I will add the next rep and so on, building to complete 3 times through the full sets. Run today felt hard as I think I was a bit too tired starting the session than I would have liked. But I completed 10k total n 45 min ending with the second 6 min race pace effort. So next time, I will aim to add the nest effort at 4 min slightly above race pace. Still no news about the London Duathlon but I will be disappointed if the event is cancelled. Oh well, so many people have had their season ruined, I can't complain if my main goal is also cancelled. With my training re-focus, I fell quite motivated. I think I am in decent shape and can build further up to September. I have also ordered some new trainers - speedy ones! New Balance Fuelcell Rebel:
In Zwift news, I am now at Level 20 and enjoying the experience even more! My Key Session 2 Bike will be a Zwift race or TT. The weather at the moment in the UK is really good and this makes me yearn for Annecy Mountains. This time last year I was preparing to leave for a week in paradise. Oh well, maybe next year. . . . .

No comments: